Sunday, July 20, 2008

Saturday's skirmish report

My arrival on the battlefield occurred after the main action had subsided. Mom was firmly entrenched inside and our troops (the 4 girls) had retreated a safe distance but still maintained contact. When I gave Mom a hug & kiss hello, she was quite cross, told me she didn't appreciate the 'ambush' and went down the basement. Discretion, being the better part of valour, I went outside to tend to the garden for a while.

I came back inside to say goodbye after all others had departed. Mom was sitting in the living room with her 2-key keyring in hand and looking like she wanted to talk. So I pulled up a chair. She immediately went into a tearful tirade about how "that husband of one of her daughters" had caused all this trouble by having screwed up her door locks. I explained (again) that no changes had been made to the locks as yet and suggested that we should test them out together. I didn't take the keys from her hands but patiently talked her through each step of the test. Of course, each of the locks worked satisfactorily and she somewhat settled down. The above noted but unnamed husband will be there today to replace front and back door lock sets that are operated by one single key on the outside (so she can't lock herself out) and are operated on the inside by a turn of a knob (so she can get out without fumbling with a key). We'll remove every other key from her reach in hopes that this may finally put an end to this particular problem.

We were then able to sit back down and continue our talk. Mom of course restated her ....

----STOP!!!----NEWS FLASH FROM THE FRONT LINES!!!----MOM HAS REQUESTED AN ARMISTICE---SHE TOLD UNCLE JIM THIS MORNING THAT SHE WOULD BE GOING TO BRIGHTON GARDENS---

I'll be at Mom's in a few hours to negotiate terms of surrender. I'll be guided by Abe Lincoln who replied when asked how the the conquered people of Richmond should be treated "If I were in your place I'd let 'em up easy, let 'em up easy. "

Peace out,
Brother Dan

4 comments:

Danny said...

Matthew...Never mind about the locks

Megan said...

All fingers crossed here. I'm hoping that when push comes to shove that she'll feel more 'guided' than 'forced.' I think her friends, more than anyone, may be able to be the encouraging, positive help that we need. I spoke with Mrs. Leonard again yesterday, and she restated her availability should anyone want to talk to her. I'll be calling her after I hear how Danny's visit goes today.

Love to all you sprinkles, Magpie Sprinkle

Megan said...

BTW, Matt would prefer to be known as hired help (hired by the brother sprinkles:) in case there are any further repercussions.

Thank you.

Michael said...

too late. Matt is already "that husband of one of my daughters who has caused all the problems". When is he going to be a help to the family, rather than such a burden??? :p

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles