Thursday, July 24, 2008

We're in....

We just don't know what day. Mom seems to love everything about BG. On more than one occasion when we commented on something nice about it, she said "that's why I picked it". She thinks everyone there is so nice, she loves the decor, the gardens, etc. She said that she thought that the room was good, but she was not at all thrilled about the view. This is actually a positive thing because it gave us leverage. The only time she waivered was when the question of when to move came up. She said she couldn't do it right away. Linda was very good about explaining that residents are given priorty when rooms become available. Linda anticipates 2, one bedroom suites opening up soon. She promised mom that if she took the current available room, mom could have one of the larger rooms as soon as it becomes available.
Mom ended by telling Linda that she would move in to the smaller room "maybe next month". Linda told her that she could not hold it that long and that she would have to start moving in by next week. We left it at that, but on the way out Mom said she wants to talk to Uncle Jim first. She told Levelle it so she can ask him about insurance/ paying for it. Needless to say, I have already given him a heads up and he is totally on board :-D BTW Uncle Jim says to tell you all he loves you. I will take Mom for a repeat TB test tomorrow and hopefully we will start moving this weekend. Keep the prayers rolling. Go gently, Quinn

6 comments:

Stuart said...

Just got off the phone with Mom.

She brought me up to speed (since I didn't know anything), and she did it accurately and without malice, sadness or rancor.

She wasn't quite ready for the move for a month or two but based on Linda's gambit that she would have guaranteed first choice if she was there, she will go ahead and move now. She hasn't thought about the furniture to take, but recognizes that she has to choose soon. I offered my truck next weekend and she said "we'll see."

We talked money for a while and after I assured her that all of her financial questions and concerns were addressed, I offered to contact BGT to review all of the insurance coverage information. I told her I would double-check with Quinn first.

She sounded very with it. She gave an accurate description of what went on with the storm and cricuit breaker last night, as confirmed by Paul who was there when I called.

BTW, I referred to BGT as "the apartment" a few times and she responded well, using the term herself. Not sure if you are all doing that. It sound better than "the facility."

Levelle said...

It was sooooooo lovely!!!! She was not thrilled to go and was shuffling papers etc when I arrived (at least Megan arrived first in time to get her in the bath :-) ). But once we were in the car, she conversed nicely and when we arrived she seemed calm and cheerful. The visit went as well, if not better than I could possibly imagined. We had lunch and the only bad thing that mom could say was that everyone looked so old. After lunch, they briskly took her off to visit with the nurse and some other staff member. I was so worried that she would freak out, but she went right along. We then tried to get the next elevator but instead the one in which they had taken Mom returned. When the doors opened, Mom was laughing at something the waman had just told her. (Good sign - she was HAPPY - even if she gets mad at us thinking that we're pushing her, we know that she will be happy when we're not around)

We saw the rooms and like Quinn said, she did not want to commit that second but she shook Linda's hand and agreed that if she took the room, Linda would make sure that if that room opened up, it was Mom's. (added to note that both rooms are on the 3rd floor - previously the "kooky" floor. Linda cleared that up for Mom by talking about the ALZ unit on part of the 2nd floor. Everything else is mixed needs.)

All in all, it was fabulous. Our ride to Stella Maris afterwards was nice. I kept telling her how happy I was that she picked such a nice place. She really is proud of the fact that she chose it. We talked about the rooms and skimmed the topic of when. Uncle Jim may be able to clear that up tonight. Speaking of tonight, Mom will be going back to BGT for a concert with Mrs. Spurrier! It turns out, the Activities Director is a friend of Megan's (Mary Pat McGuire's sister). She told us that her church group was coming to have a concert there tonight. Uh, thanks but no thanks ;-). It was then that she said they were from St. Pius X. I asked her if she knew Steven Spurrier. She said that yes, she did and he was in the band too. I told her that his mother was Mom's best friend. She said tht Mrs. Spurrier would be there. We called and now Mrs. Spurrier is picking Mom up to take her too! How perfect is that?!?!

I left her at home about 4:30. She was going to take a nap, eat a PB&J and be ready for Mrs. Spurrier to pick her up at 6:30.

Please keep praying!!! and please keep comlimenting Mom on what a nice place she chose.

Love always - Levelle

Danny said...

Praise and thanks to the Lord!!! Marvelous job girls!! Thank you Dad; I'm pretty sure you're still watching out for Mom and us from afar. This is by far the most promising post I've read.

My Tacoma, I and the rest of the family will be available whenever the move occurs.

Stuart, that's a good tip about referring to BGT as "the apartment". I'll use it hereafter.

Michael said...

Great progress! Good idea on calling it the apartment that she chose.

I also suggest telling Mom that we will sign up for the apartment immediately, just to make sure we got the apartment before it was taken and so that we are on the list for a 2-room apartment. She can move in when she is ready. She would hate the idea of "wasting money" so she would move in soon. Tell her it would also allow her to spend some days there before she is ready to stay there. Just an idea....

quinn said...

I spoke with Uncle Jim again this evening. He said he had a very good cinversation with Mom. They chatted for a while before Mom brought the events of today. He said she sounded very pleased with her visit and she told him she was moving in. She then asked him she could ask him a for advice. She wanted to know if he thought she could afford it, especially if she gets a bigger room. He assured her that the long term health care insurance that Dad had bought years ago would be plenty to cover the costs. He also told her that he had discussed this with Danny and Stuart and that everything was ready to go. Again, Mom told him that she would like to wait about a month (we're getting closer!)but he reminded her that she would need to move in ASAP so she didn't lose the suite that she wanted. She agreed with him!
I will take her tomorrow to get her TB test and then take her back to BG to pick up the floor plan (with dimensions) for her new apartment. We talked about this when we were there and she thought it would help with deciding on what furniture to bring. I'll let you know how that goes. Levelle and I talked about finding as many excuses as we can to take her over there so that on moving day it will feel familiar to her. I'm really hoping that by next weekend she will be in. Leland and Jim are coming this weekend, maybe they'll work their magic and start the process while they're here?! No pressure Lel ;~)
TTYL. Go gently, Quinn

Michael said...

Jim's coming down? That's good news. That apartment that Mom was looking at needed a few extra electrical outlets. Do you think Jim could do that while he is in town? Also, that closet in there is too small for Mom. Could Matt do something about that?

Remember to tell Mom that she can keep 627 in tact until she (Danny & Stuart) is ready to sell it so if she changes her mind about furniture or clothes, etc. it is easy to change her mind. She can also store clothes at Dunkirk Road so that she just needs seasonal stuff in BGT.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles