I described mom's situation to the best of my ability. The group leader, Chris Sparks, had a couple of things to stress:
1. No matter what stage of deteriorating capacity we think mom is currently living, Chris could almost guarantee me that mom was worse off than we thought. I think that had to do with being too close and too personally connected to really judge accurately.
2. Mom should definitely be seen by a neurologist, even if it means demanding a referral from Lavin.
3. She also thinks, based on my description, that mom is definitely unsafe living on her own.
4. It is time for one of us to be made guardian. This involves a) a doctor's evaluation, b) meeting with an elder lawyer, and c) going through court proceeding. As part of the court proceeding, each of us would be contacted by the state's lawyer to make sure we agree with the guardianship. I was given the name and number of a highly recommended elder lawyer who practices in Towson. Chris warned me that whoever is named guardian needs to complete an annual report, including providing receipts and bank statements, etc.
I brought home lots of brochures that I will go to bed reading. I also have some good library books on the subject. There are plenty of them out there. If only I had time to read them...
If you want more info on this group, it meets the third Thursday of each month, in the Coldwell Banker building in Cockeysville. Try the website http://www.alz.org/ to find a group closer to you if Cockeysville is too far.
Some other tidbits discussed (that we're already learning through experience):
- Use calming phrases.
- Focus on feelings, not facts.
- Focus on the emotions, not the behavior.
- Limit distractions/modify the environment.
- Shift the focus to another activity.
- Find outlets for the person's energy.
- Change the subject when necessary (How about those hydrangeas?)
Granted, Amy was an only child, but like I said, she speaks from the experiences with AD that she's dealt with professionally.
I thank God (and M&D) we have each other sprinkles (most of the time :)
3 comments:
Another suggestion from my group leader... If 'someone' was worried enough, 'someone' could call Baltimore County's Adult Protective Services. (or is it a state agency?) Anyhow, this could get the ball rolling.
And by 'someone' I mean... not me.
what would "someone" call about? What could they help us with?
I think it is frequently neighbors who call APS to report that someone is living unsafely and unable to care for themselves. I'd need to find out more, like would such an event be good for us or bad for us.
Post a Comment