I understand that Friday started out great. But I arrived at 1:30-ish and Mom was fuming mad at Quinn (Mrs. Lawrence brought up the missing photo again, apparently.) She was so mad she sent Mrs. L. away without having lunch. I settled her down, fed her, and got her back to 'good day' status. Then the missing money came up. She swore to me she wasn't moving until she found the money she had lost. Back to 'bad day' status. (I found her counting her coins, trying to come up with enough money to get her Rx filled.) I reminded her I some cash for her downstairs and got her to move on, and, thankfully, Mrs. Leonard arrived. Mom cheered and told Mrs. Leonard about BGT and our lunch Thursday. When Mrs. Leonard asked if she might move in a few weeks or a month, Mom said, ' Oh, sooner.'
There was one more 'bad day' period when the missing photo came up again. (Sorry Quinn.) But the good news is both sore points are now solved. I called Danny and had him bring more cash and a bank envelope. I had a AAA trash bag (similar to the one she'd put the cash in) in my car, so we staged an opportunity for her to find the missing money. The bad news is that it Leland who ended up being the hero of the day. She 'found' the missing money (because I told her where to find it) and she happened upon the missing photo (in the cigar box).
Don't worry about me, I'll just be the unsung hero who kept her calm and nourished, kept her from writing Quinn out of her life, and coming up with the brilliant plan to find the money and go through with the big move. (Gosh my arm hurts from patting myself on the back.)
Have I mentioned that I'm reading a great book on the subject of AD. It's called Learning to Speak Alzheimer's by Joanne Koenig Coste. I've been bringing home lots of library books on the subject. This is the best one I've found. Wrather than going on and on about how the brain is affected by alzheimer's (yawn) and how many more people are diagnosed every year (scary, but yawning anyway), this book gets right to the point about how to see the world through the mind of an alzheimer patient and how to deal with it. Some of the central points of this 'Habilitation' approach would be very helpful for us all to practice:
- Don't try to reason with a person who has lost the ability to reason.
- Follow the patient's logic... enter their sense of reality, or time, or place, and find the joy there (which should be easier now that $ and photo are accounted for).
- Physically remove distracting frustrations (like keys, calendars, remote controls...)
- Don't hesitate to use white lies to keep things manageable. (The only problem here might be that we all need to be on the same page about said white lies. Mom's still with it enough to catch discrepancies.)
It's three a.m. I forgot to take my 'put me to sleep' pill that I'm supposed to take at dinner time. Now I'll be sleeping while I'm driving all over tomorrow. Stuart, I'll be trying to call you tomorrow about a bunch of mail that arrived, to see if you want it sent. Paul also wants to know about getting Mom's car registered and titled in his name.
Good night.
3 comments:
are you sure?
Apparently one of the typical behaviors of an alzheimer's patient is losing their sense of propriety. Mom is also showing a sense of humor that is much more sardonic than I'm use to. Not all that funny when I'm the butt of her wit, I might add. (oops, that's just me being touchy; so what else is new?)
What the F... is up with that?!? ;-) Nice, maybe she'll pick up some Tuerrets now too. Wouldn't they love that in the Dining Room at BGT? :-o !
For the record, by the time I got there, Mom was sufficiently calmed down enough that I heard nary a cuss word from her. I can see what Megan is saying about her "sense of humor". She seems to be getting more snide in her comments. And as long as I'm not on the receiving end, I'm okay with that ;-) . BTW sorry about lunch Megan...I promise that I was only laughing at Mom's comment to humor her and keep her peaceful. Otherwise I would have reprimanded her for saying that she couldn't believe that Matt has stayed married to you for 25 years.
Love always, Levelle
PS yes this comment was totally dripping in sarcasm.
Post a Comment