continued...I know this is soon after a devastating loss. I know Mom says that she can drive and take care of herself. The truth is that she can't! and she hasn't for over a year. I can't imagine Dad would want her not eating, not drinking and wasting away in a sweltering house (even with all of our attention and encouragement. It is not that she doesn't want to eat or drink, it's that she forgets to. She is not using appropriate judgement. These are signs of dementia/ Alzheimers, not just grief or forgetfulness. So even though it is soon after losing Dad, the problem has been escalating for a while. I truely believe she needs more care than we can possibly or reasonably handle.
From the research I have done, it is better to move a person while they still have their faculties so they can adjust to the new environment more easily. It is also easier to find a place where she can still have her independence. If you wait too late, she may have to go directly into a memory loss specialty facility. This will be very painful for all of us, but I believe with the support of her children and good friends we can make it a successful transition. That's it for now.
Go gently my dears, Quinn RN,DF,MLF
4 comments:
Thanks! You're the best!
btw, you are not DF. I am.
It took me almost a week to figure out what MLF was. duh. While you may be the one playing tough cop now, I doubt Mom thinks or will thinks you are LF. We were brought up with tough love and I don't she is going to forget that the reason for the "tough" is "love".
Michael also says he hates the fact that he can not edit his own posts to correct spelling or grammar. Now I am left with this ugly "deleted message" forever. :(
Post a Comment