Friday, June 13, 2008
Legal stuff from Stuart, the blogless
Greetings, Formalities, etc. Still can't blog. I understand Mom had a classic "sundowning" episode this evening. Google that term if you are not familiar with it. I will be there with the family by early afternoon Friday. Since we will be too late for Bingo we will be checking the house for dangerous substances and hanging at the Wiltondale pool til Mom gets home, and I'll see Lel and others as they are available. Basically, there are three ways that this situation can go down. First, Mom could volunteer to us that she is having too much trouble and that she wants help moving to an alternative living arrangement. I think we all see that as unlikely. Second, and on the other end of the spectrum, we would have to petition for guardianship and start making decisions for her. I'll fill you in this weekend on how that works, but trust me that it is hard and will not be pleasant for Mom or us. Third, we continue/accelerate providing observation and assistance with daily living chores while taking control of key tasks, such as finances and cooking - with the ultimate goal of building trust so that she will allow us guide her towards a more permanent and viable arrangement. Towards the third option, I have worked with an attorney, Frank's associate, to draft durable power of attorney papers with preliminary voluntary guardianship assignments. With this completed we can free up a lot of the stress that comes with the bills, mail, etc., and be in a better position when it is time to make big decisions. I will share that with Mom on Saturday after reviewing with Uncle Jim (at Mom's request) and with any of you who want to see it. I have some concern about talking to Mom too quickly about moving as that may make her less trustful and potentially less likely to take this first important step. But I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks again to all who are putting in the time on-site. Good blessing for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......
1 comment:
My only concern was that this was week one and I don't know about Quinn (well yes I do) but I am exhausted. Running over there at least once a day, trying to get her to eat - only to have her say that she already ate and is not hungry. ( I know that she's not eating because I have been bringing meals and they are all still in the fridge untouched and going rotten) She gets jittery with people around as if she has to entertain. She is not relaxed in the least bit. I haven't been bringing the kids because the noise and activity really gets her upset (note to Stuart - bring the kids to my house to play :-) ) So I am relying on friends to watch the kids while I go over. Jamie has been back to work this week and traveling so I don't have him here as backup. My house is a mess, my laundry is not done and my groceries are not taken care of. I know this sounds bad, but I just can't see being able to continue at this pace (or more if night time coverage is critical)for months on end. I love mom and want the best for her, but I don't see accelerated care by us as a viable long term option. If she won't come to live with someone or move to a care facility, I think we need to hire round-the-clock caretakers. JHMO at 1:00 when I should be finishing my work or maybe even sleeping - Levelle
Post a Comment