That was beautifully written Quinn. I know that we all want what's best for mom and don't want her to feel upset, but some decisions are just hard and we will get through this. I know that deep down mom knows that there is a problem, I just wish that she would acknowledge it and let us help her. She is beginning to resent all of the "help" (meals, visits). We just love her so much and want to do for her exactly what she would do for us.
That being said, here's what I came across today... I arrived to find her in the kitchen getting ready to bake cookies for the Stella Maris Bingo on Friday. I checked the oven and it was set to the correct temp, so I decided to sit in the gold chairs and let her continue without me hovering. We were chatting and I was watching. After a while, I noticed that the batter on the spoon she was using was blue. I hoped that she didn't accidentally put blue food coloring in because green cookies would not be all that appetizing. She then poured in some milk and continued to stir. Eventually she said, "I think I put something wrong in here." I went to check the recipe and noticed an odd smell. I looked on the counter only to find and empty laundry detergent lid sitting there. I told her that I thought she must have put lliquid laundry detergent in by accident. She said that she couldn't possibly have done that. Well, if it looks like laundry detergent and it smells like laundry detergent, it must be laundry detergent. She decided to try and pick it out. I told her that it was too mixed in and it might poison the patients. She said that they will eat anything you put in front of them! I was going to let her continue and find some way to NOT take them on Friday. I went downstairs to check the container. (BTW do not ingest, if swallowed, drink a glass of water and contact a physician immediately) When I got back up, she had thrown the batter away but still wanted to use the unwashed bowl. I let her, but I may still warn the people at Stella Maris on Friday. The kids and I are going to go and help her with the Bingo!
Sorry to sound like an alarmist, but this is stressing me out big time :-{ !
Love always, Levelle
3 comments:
Yum!
Why clean out the bowl? Wouldn't the detergent have done that already??? ~Michael
Megan here, touching base from steamy Vegas. Thanks for the updates. Sorry I can't be there to provide Mom a different face/diversion. I'll be back late next Wednesday. By then she'll be way sick of all of you. Matt suggested we child-proof the house, complete with Mr. Yuk stickers.
And to change the subject for a moment (this is all about me, isn't it?), I have my first match tonight. I'll be thinking of Dad and you all as I shoot. Strength in numbers, I hope. Wish me luck.
Last night we went to see the sights and sounds of "Old Vegas" and were surprised to run into a familiar face. Rhett was checking out the light show with her grandmother. It's a small, small world.
Post a Comment