I liked what I heard from Danny tonight, which Levelle alluded to in another post. Mom is getting around to identifying the things she doesn't like (cooking and finances) and indicated a willingness/eagerness to give them up. Danny should move on to yard care and home repairs. Let her build her own case for greater dependency on others.
The car seems to be as much symbolic as anything else - she wants some freedom and, more importantly, to hold on to things she can do. Like delivering casseroles. Rather than give it up completely and right away, see if she can distinguish a short trip to the store or church (things we could hold our breath and tolerate for a short time) versus trips to E Balt by herself. Get her to recognize that she isn't "ready" to do those things by herself and therefore be accepting of help. Soon enough I think she wouldn't drive anywhere if we were available and trusted. I'd be real happy if we got to this point soon, and less anxious about the need to warehouse right away. My guess is that we will be successful if we can keep this improving for a few more weeks.
Stuart
3 comments:
Stuart,
By "warehouse" do you mean getting Mom to an AL like BGT? If so, we need to talk. Give me a call when you get a chance.
Lel
Funny thing about the casserole blow up...mom doesn't even mention delivering casseroles as something she needs to do and never talked to Emily about it. She usually isn't sure of what day it is, so I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have the day and time right to pick up casseroles anyway. I will call St. Mary's and tell them to remove her from the delivery list. (if they haven't already)
As for the car, it could be used as a bargaining chip for the move. Only once she gets there, it might get "parked" somewhere else. I understand her need for independence, but I also understand our need to protect the public when she is an actual danger to society. I believe that her judgement sense is not working correctly and luckily, so far, there has not been any bodily harm. But there certainly have been enough errors that "could have" caused an accident. And frankly, one small turn of the steering wheel and she will be in Alan and Deborah's (next door neighbors) back yard. She's not going to like it, and we all have to learn from this, that there is a point in time when someone HAS to give up their car keys for the greater good of society.
Just my four cents worth. Love, Levelle
P.S Good luck getting those keys Danny ;-)
Hey that is mom's word, not mine. And it should give you an idea what we are up against.
Stuart
Post a Comment