Monday, June 30, 2008

It was my turn... for an odd day.

First, a schedule change: Mrs. Lawrence and Mrs. Spurrier are taking dinner to mom on Tuesday. Take the night off, Levelle.

I've been having too many even days (good days, that is), I was due for a challenge. Here's the day, in a nutshell:

Mom was outside and furious when I arrived at 1:30. Near as I can tell, she went out to the garage looking for 'the thing' (broom) and locked herself out of the house. She couldn't get in the garage either and wanted to know who changed that lock. She said she walked all over the neighborhood looking for one of us to let her in the house. BTW, I found the broom next to the fridge, but that must not of been one of mom's logical places to look.

I let her in and left her alone to finish fuming. She eventually brought me her two calendars to help her figure out what day it was. She said she had a doctor appt, but didn't write it down (who, when and where). The doctor had been refered by another doctor, but she wasn't sure who that doctor was either. She eventually (while crying and distressed) admitted that the appointment was with a counseler/psychologist. She didn't write it down because she didn't want us to know. I first tried to convince her that counselers are great people and I was thrilled with the idea that she's willing to get help. We tried to call Lavin to see if it was he who had recommended the other, but his office was closed already. Her plan is to arrive on his doorstep (walking there!) when his office opens at 9 a.m. on Tuesday (a phone call to him won't do), and then proceed to this counseler. I tried to tell her I'd drive her there before I went to work, but she's liable to have left the house without waiting for me.

Getting her to let the issue go, at least for the afternoon, was tough. Luckily, Carlisle Hashim (one of Aunt Helen's granddaughters?) stopped by with flowers, and then St. Danny arrived; he always has a calming affect.

Before Danny and I left we reminder her that she had a key hidden outside. She took us to the rock and showed us it was empty. Come to find out, she must have found the key earlier and had it in her pocket. I think she might have tried to use on the back door, and of course it doesn't work there.

I'm going to call Paul now. If mom brings all this up with him tomorrow morning, I want him to say that Megan's coming over, she'll drive you.

Like I said, I guess I was due for a fuming, crying kind of day.

Three other tidbits:

Small tidbit... There is a container of Dad's chicken noodle soup in the fridge. Mom and I had a little for dinner the other day. I think there's enough left that you can all go have a ceremonial little bit of it. It's as tasty as it ever was.

Big tidbit... Just before I sat down to post this, Carol Leonard called me. She wants to help! She's sure mom wants to stay in the house as long as possible and practically insisted that we let her organize all mom's friends to take turns coming in with a meal everyday. She apparently stopped by to see by to see mom one day, and was surprised to find mom alone. Don't worry, I explained why we were trying to 'hover' less, but that we were there every day. I also told her that we had Michael coming home for a couple of weeks and that he would be spending day and night with mom. She made me promise to call her after that. Mrs. Leonard's number, btw, is 410-323-6449. I'm not sure how much mom would appreciate her friends' constant attention any more than ours. Maybe she'll eventually figure out that an ALF will bring her welcome relief.

Other tidbit... Sh*t, I can't remember.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, yeah. The other tidbit is that I still can't find the two funeral home guest books. Yes, I checked the freezer.

Levelle said...

Note to one of the tidbits...there is another container of the chicken soup in the freezer in the basement. Dad made it on 5/1...:-(.

Miss you dad - Love, Levelle

Gilmom5 said...

I think Megan was also telling me last night that by the time Danny and she were leaving, Mom didn't remember being locked out.

Hang in there folks! Can't wait to see you all.

Love, Lel

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles