Friday, June 27, 2008

Raising Mom

It's probably going to get much worse so please make the best of what you can now. She won't likely be appreciating it later. From someone's daughter:

Raising Mom

Her memory has left her and it's sad to know
Mom needs to be watched wherever she goes
Can't remember her family or friends
Oh, what pain this heartache sends
She's just like a kid and has to be told
How to eat and bathe or dress for the cold
Children are gone as she thinks they're still here
While she looks for them with worry and fear
Sleepless nights I've had to spend
While raising mom, there is no end.
Sometimes it's hard for the feeling to sink in
Raising mom's like raising my kids again
I've raised three sons all by myself
Never knowing of my future itself
Now as mom's memories have passed her by
I'm having to raise her and it makes me cry
It' s heartbreaking what this disease can do
To this loving lady with a heart so true
Mom oh mom, I do miss you so
Wish there was a way for you to know
I'm always with you, you've nothing to fear
Will hold you in my heart, so tight, so near.
~ Sylvia Allison
8/8/98 (c)1998

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Thanks for finding and posting the poem.

The real tragedy of this is the fear, paranoia and isolation that Mom feels now. I'd give anything for Mom to have a day so clear that we would have the chance to tell her again (and she would internalize for posterity)how much she is loved, respected, admired and appreciated by all of us and so many of her friends.

While we are planning the future and doing what we can to ensure her safety, comfort and well-being, don't forget to bombard her with that message. Maybe it will get through.

Levelle said...

That is beautiful Michael, thank you.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles