Monday, June 23, 2008

Miscellany...

Hello siblin's...

Mom's transportation to weekday Mass:
I met with Paul at 5:30 this morning (6/23) as he readied to go get Mom. Paul has committed to being Mom's 'regular' ride and I the 'substitute' when Paul needs one. Mom's formerly expressed desire to go to daily Mass is covered for the foreseeable future. However, there was an unpleasant change in Mom's demeanor this morning. Paul showed up at the appointed time to find Mom awake but still in bed. Paul asked if she was going to Mass and she replied "what's the use...I'm a prisoner in my own house". Paul told her that they could talk about that after church and that he'd just read the paper while she mulled it over. She did get up, dressed and they made it church on time. As Paul was dropping her back home he said he'd be back tomorrow and would do so regularly. Mom told him that he didn't have to do that but then acquiesced when he replied that he was doing it as much for himself as for her. Paul knows that he is Mom's 'pet project' and is agreeable to maintaining that status for her benefit.

Positive spin on last week:
Hey, important strides forward were made last week in the areas of Mom's health, safety and worry relief.
The Dr. Lavin visit did give us a clearer picture of Mom's health and he told her all that we had hoped for, even if Quinn did bully him into doing so ;-}. At lease Dr. Lavin's instruction to her to stop driving has been reluctantly accepted. But she told Lel and I that the medication prescription she received from him is for diarrhea...and I think that the prescription is still in her purse.
Mom's expressed desire to be relieved of the necessity of financial dealings was realized with the POA signing. Stuart, thank you for your tireless effort in this area...now take the week off and enjoy your vacation!
At least at times, Mom was open to discussing assisted living arrangements, albeit "when I'm old and ready". Further unargumentative, calm talks with her in this area may yet bear fruit. Unfortunately, I'm not as optimistic as before about her 'coming around' to understanding the need for assistance any time soon.

Paul:
Paul wishes to remain supportive of Mom in any way and is dealing with his grief in his own way. He desires to remain 'out-of-the-loop' as far as our stategizing goes. He tells me that he would be willing to move in with Mom if there is a need for that.

I'll be at Mom's for dinner on Wednesday as scheduled and will call her daily. Feel free to contact me in the meantime. Love to all,
Danny

5 comments:

Gilmom5 said...

#1. God Bless Paul!!

#2. God Bless Danny!

3. Let's just keep talking about AL. We'll miss out on the room that available now, but keep her name on the list at several places.

4. Let me know what you need me to do in terms of visiting for meals. I can be flexible for work. Either Jim or I can be there for the dinner shift any day.

5. No more wine for me. I will have to think of another coping strategy. :)

Stuart said...

What is the prescription? Aricept?
As I understand it, that class of drugs will slow the preogression of the deisease for six months or so if patients can tolerate the upset stomach and other GI side effects.

How are we going to get that filled?

Levelle said...

Is there a prescription that can slow the preogression of spelling errors in Stuart's post? I would hate for him to suffer from that deisease for too long!

Love - Levelle

Stuart said...

For the record, the only place that I can get wireless is by the pool. In the daylight I can't see the screen well, although the previous comment was pretty clear for some reason. Peace.

Levelle said...

We wouldn't love you if we couldn't tease you Stuart. (or something like that ;-} )

-Levele

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles