Friday, August 29, 2008

no news is good news?!?

Can we seriously go a whole day without a post. First we stop the board meetings and now we don't even have witty banter. What am I to look forward to each day?!?

16 comments:

Stuart said...

Can we or will we? Apparently the answer is "almost".

Stuart said...

So, Levelle, what do you think of Sarah Palin?

I'm trying to decide between you and Quinn as to which of my sisters was most likely to be the next VP selection if she had turned down the offer from former POW John McCain.

Oh yeah, How is Mom?

Levelle said...

Well, since my youngest is four years old and does not have Down Syndrom I think I could handle the job. But since I'm not interested in politics, I'll let VP Palin do her job and see how things go ;-).

Stuart said...

Well, I think you could handle it.

Think about the learning experience for Trig - 70 days on the campaign trail with his mom.

BTW (first time I have used the abbrev) Trig was named for a family member, Willow and Bristol were named for cities in Alaska (or witches, if you believe the Anchorage paper), Piper was named for an airplane, and the oldest, Track, was named for the place where he was conceived. No kidding.

So do we have any good stories for our family names? Shane was named for a basketball player and an Irish music singer.

Gilmom5 said...

Andy says she's a creationist (among other fundamentalist christian "ists") This will really put us ahead in the globaleducation race.

Gilmom5 said...

Andy's named for Jim and lots of people on Dad's side - not the least of which is Aunt Sugar. Kate's named for Mary Kay. John is named for the apostle Jesus loved the best and St Francis - the peaceful one. I figured correctly that he would need all the help he could get heaven-wise.

Stuart said...

Welcome back, Lel. Haven't heard from you in a few days.

Yes, the presumptive GOP VP candidate does have a problem with evolution, and she proposed removing some books from th epublic library. But we could get used to that.

One of the things I was fearful of losing when the current admininstration leaves the White House was there ability to promote/appoint anyone to any job. (see Michael Brown/FEMA, Monica Goodling.) No experience desired, just a belief in a young earth and the inerrancy of Bush Cheney.

I guess I won't have to miss that so much after all.

Levelle said...

Emma Ciaran was named for St. Ciaran of Clonmacnoise - ummmm where she was conceived. I just liked the name Emma. Neil Declan was named for a character in one of Emma's children's books. Declan was another Irish saint's name and it went along nicely with the theme. Aidan James was named for an Irish saint and Jamie. Like John, he needs two guardian angels watching over him. Kevin Padraig just flows with the Irish saint theme. Two more guardian angels for him too. I guess I knew from the beginning that Aidan and Kevin were going to need some extra help. BTW the girl name that I never got to use but always wanted to was Mary Eleanor and we would have called her Nora. By the time I was pregnant with Kevin, I was even going to throw Levelle into the name too!

Have a good night.

Love, Levelle

PS I think Palin looks a lot like Tina Fey from SNL. I'm sure they are going to have a field day with this. That's all of the politics you'll get from me.

Michael said...

I got back from diving last night to the news that Palin is the VP nominee. Scary stuff. Don't get me wrong, I would have been thrilled with Hillary but the Rebumblecans are clever enough to aim to pick up the women who are upset that Obama beat Hillary.

And Alex was named after a fictional character from a story whose name I liked but whose qualities I didn't. My Alex was raised to bring honor back to the name. Robert was one of the few names that went well with Alex and it is my Godfather's name as well as one of Jeanne's great uncle's (if I recall correctly). Finally, Robert Alexander Smith sounded better than any other combinations of names with Alex and Smith in it and a nod to G. Vincent, E. Patrick and J. Stuart. Alex is still angry for the curse of the non-middle initial though. Dickinson calls him Robert.

Megan said...

Think of all the children who will be born next June named Gustav.

My children were named for more normal reasons. I chose Leland Catherine just because I liked the names. Kidding! Matt's mother is Catherine, and we had an ancester named Mary Ellen Leland, whom our favorite sister Leland was named for. The Henry part of Henry Atticus was for Henry Fonda and Hank Aaron.

The names I didn't use- Leland would have been Charles O'Conor (Charlie) and Henry would have been Margaret Ann. Kidding!! He would have been Claudia, middle name Cooper or Quinn.

Stuart said...

Pretty clever of me to use a family poll to get in a few political points, eh?

Next question: who thinks that a family should have at least one parent available at home as much as possible to take care of the kids? Does the answer change if the family size grows? What if an infant has a disability and a teenager is, um, active? Does the financial capabilities of the family have any bearing on your thoughts?

quinn said...

Dylan Charles was named after the character on Beverly Hills 90210- JK- He was three weeks early and we were not prepared. Tod just liked Dylan and Charles was from his father and grandfather. I'm still sorry I didn't go with Dylan Thomas, but I thought people would always make the poet reference. (Little did I know there was a pop show with Dylan as a main character ={ Haden Quinn, I think you all can figure out.
As far as politics- it seems the GOP have God on their side. What perfect timing to have a huricane hit so they can show how compassionate they are and how "well prepared they are" for natural disasters!
P.S. Are we heading for the society Ray Bradbury wrote about in his prescient novel Fahrenheit 451?
Can we turn the topic from names to good books. I'm always looking for a good read... Melanie, are you out there?

quinn said...

I just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's been around for a while, but I just read it. I'd give it ***

Stuart said...

I told both my kids years ago that I would try to read whatever they did. Which means it has been years since I got to read an adult book.

But I can recommend The Babe Ruth story, and Rory is about to give me Black Beauty.

Michael said...

Stuart, I don't know if one parent of the hypothetical family you describe needs to stay in the home but they should definitely stay in Alaska. Let's have a vote on that.

And I just dropped Melanie off at the airport. She'll be wandering the backroads of Java for the next few days so you won't hear from her for a bit. I think the latest book she is reading is Ultimate Suduko.

Megan said...

It is so good to know that Bristol Palin will be setting a good example for other American teenagers by bringing the baby to term, marrying the father, and raising the baby. Isn't this what we all want for our own children? Let's move on to starting a Baby-naming Poll. With Bristol starting a family so early, she may have ample chances to honor Alaska towns by naming children after them... Savoonga, Shaktoolik, Manley, Jakolof, Funter, Akiachak, Ekwok,...

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles