Jim and I stopped to see Mom around 1:30 today. She was sitting in her room watching an infomercial because she didn't know how to change the channel. She was glad to see us and in good spirits. The only bad thing she said while we were there was "I'm on the edge about staying here. I'm lonley."
All three of us went for a long walk around the beautiful grounds at the Mother House. On the second lap, we decided to go in and see Melmarie. She was excited to learn that Mom had moved in next door.
A few things will make a difference: newspaper delivery and phone. As Mom gets more used to it, she'll be more apt to participate in activities, or just sit in the common areas where there were lots of people. Every time we ran into someone, Mom would have a conversation with them - on the elevator and at the front desk. She'll make friends quickly.
Jim and I are taking her to St Mary's in the morning. Hopefully she'll go to breakfast with us. Levelle is planning on going over tomorrow with the love seat, so the room will be complete.
A good start to a long haul!
Go gently folks, Love, Lel
3 comments:
Thanks for the update. Let's not let her feel lonely. Perhaps she talks to others when she is happy, and she is happy when some of us are around.
Lel, sorry that I missed your call. I'll get up with you tomorrow. We should talk about the phone/ internet and cable TV.
For you local folks, can you make sure that the paper is cancelled and that all of the mail made it inside each day?
While I'm there tomorrow (today now ;-) ), I'll get her to ask about the walking club. I think they walk every morning at 9:00. She can at least join in and conversation should flow from there. On Monday, I may try to call Linda to ask about some type of buddy system. I can't believe that they don't match up new residents with current residents to show them around.
Love always, Levelle
I stopped by BG today to sign some papers. I spoke with Tanya who is one of the directors. We talked about how we can best help mom adjust. She said it really does depend on the individual, but stressed that allowing them to get into the routine there and socialize with other residents is crucial. I've been there now both during the week and on the weekend. The place is definitely hopping with visitors on the weekend. I (strictly my opinion) think we should limit visits during the week to once, maybe twice to sort of check in. Then on the weekends, whatever floats your boats. Tanya said during their rounds tomorrow she will bring up Mom's "loneliness" and come up with a plan for helping her to socialize and get involved. She also stressed that this first month is very hard for residents, but they do adjust. Let's put our concerns in their professional hands for now. I also think if we bombard her with visits, on top of her new living arrangement, it will feel even more chaotic for her than it did when she was home. She hated feeling that way.
Anyway, TIFN. Go gently, Q
Post a Comment