Daniel C. Smith
J. Stuart Smith
Megan Smith Strott
Levelle G. Blanchard
Meeting called to order:
3:40pm (because Danny was late and we gave up thinking that Paul might show up ;-) )
- Financial Business - We have a five step plan in place to tidy up financial transactions
- We have a Financial Advisor - Michael Havlick - blah, blah, blah I zoned out during most of this conversation, but I trust the experts. Seems we will be selling the stock and converting it to money market funds. We will be closing down the Point Breeze Credit Union account and moving most of the assets from the Midstate Federal account to the Bank of America account. The Midstate account will stay open if they promise to help Stuart finish out the quarter collection that Dad has started for all of the grandchildren.
- House Business - It's still too early to make any major decisions about the house, but start thinking about our options. We don't need to sell right away because M&D have cash available to pay her bills for now and we don't need to wait out the housing market because houses are still selling in the development right now.
- Keep the house as is and put lights on times to scare off thieves.
- Rent - but nothing long term.
- Wait for Mom to tell Paul that he should just go and move in.
- Put on a 2nd story and potentially make more money on the sale. (The house had a rough estimate of selling for around $300K. If we put say $200K in to raise the roof, we could possibly sell the house for about $700K and potentially make an extra $200K on the transaction.
- Random business
- Stuart is going to add Cavalier Cable and Phone to the house for $50/month for visitors.
- Levelle gave an update on the doctor appt.
- Anyone looking for Mom's purse - it is now located in the cabinet about the refrigerator in Mom's apartment. (Stuart's doing - not Mom's Alzheimer's ;-) )
- Megan was paid $125 to cover locks, keys and newspaper service for Mom.
- Megan will be taking mom to Mr. Green's birthday party on the 23rd.
- Levelle has all of the mass cards and guest books at her house now.
- Future Business
- Vote on whether to begin removal of items from the house as stated in Mom's official give-away book
- Vote on whether or not to cut the check to the St. Mary's Legacy campaign which Dad had pledged ($2,500)
- Find out why Paul wouldn't show up at a meeting where he was going to be receiving the title to his new car.
- Random Funny Statements heard throughout the meeting....
- Stuart offered that he would like to see Mom get to the point that she would enjoy coming back to a party at Yarmouth and then say that she would like to go back home to BGT at the end of the party. For this reason (and others like not increasing Mom's depression) he would like to keep the house as is for now - not sell, rent or take any objects out.
- Megan is allowed to take the tools if she promises to leave some cut off fingers behind (or something like that, I zoned out on that conversation too)
- Mom's new friend Frank has very large feet and you know what they say...
I left the meeting around 5:00 because we weren't really accomplishing anything and I wanted to get to a crab feast. So that's it for now.
Love - Levelle
9 comments:
Paul eventually did show up-- he signed the title and took off for work. He asked us if any of us were interested in his old car. Hmmm. I wonder if he would give us a good price, seeing as how we're family, and all.
And to clarify... I asked Stuart, as I have been/will be asking all siblings if they have any interest in any tools. I do love working in dad's shop and was happy to work there while Mom was in residence (though I gotta tell ya, I wasn't terribly productive when Mom was there, as I was tending to whatever her issue-of-the-moment was). But with Mom not there, and my gasoline purchases last month totalling $1302.50(!),... Well, I just want to put it out there that I am interested in a lot of it, and I don't want any of his tools sitting idle or going to a yardsale.
Dad's wood plane was passed down from Granddad Smith. That might go into the general pile but I have no burning interest in the other things. Actually, I do but I know it's just wanting to have something Dad was close to but I am offsetting that with the knowledge that I really don't need any of it and that anything held over here would die of rust in a few months anyway.
Also, I think there are two small old adjustable crescent wrenches that used to belong to Melanie's Dad. I may reclaim those and pass them to Melanie's nephews. Any objections?
I'm home now and can add a few thoughts:
1) Very little weeding was accomplished.
2) Some cherry tomatoes were pulled.
3) Megan should take the tools.
4) Mom played bingo (lost the investment I gave her)
5) Mom and I went to the Village Inn (pictures later).
I'll need pictures to prove that last item.
I didn't know that- about a wood plane from Granddad Smith. That's very cool. My biggest interest is in the crafting tools and materials, most of which I don't have, in spite of being married to a carpenter (who works with bigger tools, but that's bordering on TMI). And having some of the hand tools that Matt does own, would save me from having to go for his (and return them!) when I need them.
BTW- I asked Matt to consider what it might cost to put a second floor on. But we should also try to find an unbiased real estate agent to gauge whether or not it would be worth it.
Not many would know that about the plane. I only know it because Dad mentioned it a few times while he was giving me a wooping. While playing with it once, I guess I turned the screw a little far and broke it. He later got the guys at the Western Electric shop to fix it but I learned my lesson. Later in life I never got AIDS or VD because I was always careful what I screwed.
OMG
Gee whiz Megan & Mike! This is family blog. Do I have to bring out the soap?
oops. was that over the line?
Anyone under 40 looking at this page, please skip over my comment. You'll miss a valuable life lesson but what the hell, just screw it.
Post a Comment