Monday, August 18, 2008

Dum spiro, spero

Uncle Jim called to report a very nice visit with Mom today. When he arrived at BG mom wasn't there. She had walked over to the Mother House for 12 noon mass. She had decided to take a pass on lunch with IND girls, but was delighted to have lunch with Uncle Jim at BG. BTW, I guess that lunch will be on the bill ;-D . He said she was very cheerful and coherent. She even told him she likes her room and thinks she wants to stay where she is!
I will be doing my calls to BG and priests on Weds., let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns.

17 comments:

Michael said...

Dum spiro. Stupider tricky dick.

I still think that if Mom is happier about her surroundings, she'll get less forgetful, more able to deal with a calendar, less likely to be hiding things, less aggressive, less frustrated, and less likely to say bad words, etc. I don't think she is going to improve to perfection but she does have to improve enough to avoid "Le Reminiscence Suite". Of course making that happen is the tricky part. Perhaps if Levelle picks her up on time for parties.... Or if Paul walks her over to mass (or drives her in his new car).... BTW, I'd be happy to pay for meals at BGT and would not think twice about it although I think Mom would consider it more of an apartment if people took her out to Towson Diner, their house or someplace like that on occasion.

Stuart said...

Esse quam videri.

Mom will go places if asked to get in the car. I think she already misses hanging with he Village Idiots.

Michael said...

cogito, ergo imbibo has always been my motto.

quinn said...

Wow! Stuart, you're not only up on your Latin, you know NC's motto!

quinn said...

Maybe you should try Alcoholicus Anonymus, Michael.

Michael said...

Let me think about it.




Oops. There I was thinking again. Cheers.

Stuart said...

Quinn - I was impressed that you knew South Carolina's motto.

quinn said...

Oops,I thought it was North Carolina's motto.

quinn said...

Oops,I thought it was North Carolina's motto.

Gilmom5 said...

It is North Carolina. I only know a few words in Latin: Veni, vidi, vici. (credit to smoking Marlboros for many years.)

Speaking of cigarettes, the minute I find out I have Alzheimers, I will start smoking and eating whatever I like! Vita contin git. Vive com eo.

Michael said...

I prefer:

feculentia contin git. Vive com eo

Stuart said...

"dum spiro, spero" is the SC motto.

Stuart said...

By the way, Leland, Mom asked me the other day when she smoked cigarettes and when she quit. I think she was trying to think along the same lines.

Megan said...

Dina de clanga ginnig agaroia beoia. --- Dad's motto, though I have no idea what it means, or how to spell it, for that matter.

I wonder if Mom called Mrs. Beaze (Spelling?) to tell her not to come pick her up?

Quinn, when you talk to BG, ask about counseling availability.

Gilmom5 said...

OK, I was barely hanging on to this conversation. Now you have totally lost me :)

quinn said...

Stuart, I didn't know "dum spiro, spero" was SC's motto. I just thought it was a Latin proverb that I find calming during these stressful times. ( Leland, don't make me eat bacon for saying that.)
Megan, you're quote is Greek for "oh, to hear the twang of the arrow as it flies through the air"
I think Dad liked it because it was an onomatopoeia.

Stuart said...

They don't lookk like Greek letters to me.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles