Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fresh Thread

Anyone seen my Mom lately? I wonder how she is doing.

It has been three weeks since I was there. Does that make me a bad person?

7:00 UPDATE: Mom went to the hospital again, another fainting incident. Per Lel she was taken to GBMC where Megan and Levelle are with her. She may have a cardiac monitoring test. Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Levelle said...

I saw her today. She seemed fine and actually mentally pretty good.

BTW I am not at the hospital. Vincent is the one who told me she went to the hospital. I am guessing Megan is with her again (lucky duck). I can't reach ANYONE local by cell phone. Waiting on pins and needles - love, Levelle

Michael said...

Gosh, I haven't been to visit in almost 2 months. I must be awful. I did try to call today around 2:00pm but there was no answer. No one gave her caller ID, did they?

BTW (just to get in the acronym), I'm still excited about finding tiny pipefish at Jack Rock several times on Sunday.

...and I hope Mom isn't starving herself.

Levelle said...

9:30 update:
They are admitting her to the hospital (GBMC) for evaluation. Her blood pressure was okay. They would like to check her out for a heart arrhythmia so she may have to wear a heart monitor for a month or so. (she's thrilled on both counts, NOT) Danny, Megan and Quinn are with her now. When she gets admitted, they will leave her in the capable hands of the nurses for the remainder of the night.

BTW (It's my favorite acronym) I watched her eat lunch today and also saw her eat two pieces of candy. It seems like the fall occurred around 5-6 so she may have been in the dining room when she fainted (BTW she is now denying that she fainted - just that she felt weak and saw stars in the distance)

I didn't notice that she looked any worse than she had the last time I saw her. No better, but still not worse. She also told me that she's been walking and is up to 4 laps around the grounds. And...she told me about her "friend" across the hall with whom she shares her newspaper. And then she told me about the whore down the hall who was trying to woo him away! I thought it was a very nice visit.

love, Levelle

Michael said...

Mom's got a boy friend????? And she called someone a whore????????? That's it. We're taking her out of there. It's a bad influence on her. Please check again at one of the Catholic retirement homes - someone must have a good setting for her.

Megan said...

I left the hospital around 10 p.m. Like Levelle said, she is not happy about staying. She'll be giving the night nurses a run for their money. Quinn took off work on Wednesday so that she could be on top of things and be there for Mom's discharge. Thank you, Quinn. She and Danny were going to hang out until Mom got a room. It might take a while, though. Mom was sure that the doctor meant they had to wait until someone else died to free up a room for her.

BTW (also my favorite typed acronym), Gerry Fallon's husband Jack died. His funeral is Wednesday morning, and Mom is particularly upset about having to miss that, as you can imagine. Should any of you feel inclined to send a card:

Geraldine Fallon
1803 Leadburn Road
Towson 21204-1830

Goodnight, Dad. Send Mom a little peace and comfort tonight. We miss you.

Megan said...

And no, Stuart, you aren't a bad person for not being here more often. We are trying to stay away from Mom anyway, giving her more opportunities to meld. (And by "we" I mean me. I'm not happy with the way my quality time with her is currently working out, anyway.)

Michael, OTOH, will be making Mom's current hopes and dreams come true when he moves back to Baltimore in late October. She apparently heard from Michael that he was eligible to retire then, and would be back soon after. Michael, I know you recently bought property in Baltimore. Just what do you mean by "retire?"

Danny said...

Mom seemed to be doing fairly well when I left shortly before 11pm. Her tests all came back relatively normal but the ER doctor consulted with Dr. Lavin who agreed that 24 hours or so of close observation was in order due to the closeness of these 2 'fainting' incidences. Quinn was going to hang in there until a bed became available for Mom upstairs. Thanks much, Quinn. Hopefully, it wasn't too much longer before one opened up. Actually, I think Quinn was happy to have outlasted Megan for sole flirting rights to the cute ER doctor. (Just kidding, Tod & Matt... although they both WERE looking around for a mirror).

I had popped in for a surprise visit to Mom at Brighton Gardens. The surprise was on me though. They told me at the desk that Mom had just been taken by ambo to GBMC after fainting and falling in the gathering room off of the dining room before dinner. She'll have a bruise on her butt for a while but no broken bones thank God.

Lel, thanks much for the elderly TV remote control which arrived last week. I was going to set it up tonight. I'll have to take it back when Mom comes 'home' to the apartment.

So Mike, should we be making preparations for a welcome home party? Mom tells us that you told her that you and Melanie are moving back to the states... sometime in October?!?

Levelle, I told Vincent not to take $'s for sitting tonight. Did he? Be honest.

Good night all. Gotta catch a few winks before BTW (back to work).

Michael said...

While that is bad news about Mom, it's great news that I am retiring. To be honest, I've been looking forward to it but I just didn't realize that it was getting so close. I'll have to delay it a bit though since I am required to give three months' notice but if Mom says October 2008, it must be true. I'll see if my bosses accept that as an excuse for the shorter notice.

Actually, I did talk about retirement with Mom the last time we spoke so she is not completely in left field. I had mentioned that my current work on the boat and teaching scuba was to prepare me for retiring from a coat & tie job. Melanie and I do plan to switch careers some day and spend part of the time working on remote tropical islands doing something scuba related and part of the time doing something benefitting poorer people, rather than rich people like we have been doing for our whole careers. We're hoping / counting on being able to spend more time in Baltimore too but retire there in October? Let's hope Mom forgets that by next month. I doubt it though. I once told her many years ago that we could not leave Melanie's elderly parents in Singapore. Ever since they died, Mom has been quoting that to me and telling me it's time "to keep my promise and move back." yikes.

Danny said...

May I be one of the poorer recipients of your beneficent scuba training off a remote tropical isle? ;-)

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles