I had a nice chat with Mom last night (Thursday about 1:30pm for her). While she forgot lost of words, she was pretty good about remembering other things. I said I heard she had little visitors running around recently and she told me in great detail how one of them mocked her for not having a car. :D
She did refer to BGT as "home" several times and never mentioned Yarmouth so I didn't either. I think the only disturbing part of the conversation was that she was angry at Marty Moranto for calling and asking for Dad. When she explained that he passed away, Marty said that that was what he had heard! Mom doesn't like to talk to callers about that and she quickly hangs up on the telephone marketing people after telling them that Dad passed away but she figured a friend would have more polish. When Marty asked how Dad died, Mom told him it was a brain hemorrhage. When I said that wasn’t exactly correct, she told me that no one had let her know the real story. Oops. I filled her in on the medical side of it (again) but then she told me in minute detail everything that happened on that day from her point of view. She remembers every single word they said to each other that day as well as all the sights, sounds and smells. Don’t let her kid ya.
Mom didn’t cry but she is still bored. She has figured out the television though. Mom could not remember who told her how to fix it but one of us did. Apparently one great mechanical and technologically advanced genius in the family told her to “push some button” and when she did, the television just started to work. I wonder if it was the one marked “on”.
Peace to all. I’m underwater this weekend but Melanie is manning the fort. WOFWL.
12 comments:
I'm pretty sure you can thank Leland for ordering and Danny installing a new easy to use remote. The only buttons are on/off up/down volume and up/down channel. So simple even and ALZ patient can figure it out ;-). If you're worried about Mom being bored at BGT, just think of how bored she would be at Yarmouth. (except for mad searching for the lost item of the day) At BGT, everything is simplified for her, but there are options if she chooses to participate. Hopefully she will make a friend or two with whom she can go to regular BGT activities.
Love to all and have a great weekend - Levelle
PS Aidan will not be allowed to talk to Mom anymore ;-)
BTW you were not serious when you said you tried to fill Mom in on the medical details of Dad's death, were you?!?
yeah, I was serious. Are we not supposed to be telling her? If not, don't worry. She has probably already forgotten.
BTW, I just had to add a photo of my new little puppy. He's a baby at only about 15 feet long but he was just so cute that I had to cuddle him. He swam right over to me and passed by inches away.
No, not a problem that you tried to tell her, but she was right you know - cause of death - brain hemmorage.
BTW, Cute pet! Did Melanie have the fish tank all ready when you brought him home?
Ooops. Okay who told me that dad died in a plane crash??????? Actually, I thought the internal bleeding was elsewhere - where the stent was which I though was in the femoral artery.
And Melanie did have the bathtub ready when I got home but sadly I had to release him already. It turns out that whale sharks eat a couple of tons of tiny plankton per day. I can't find any such food even at the pet shop.
I should let nurse Quinn handle this one, but in my own recollection: the femoral artery graft failed, and that is where the bleeding began. Whatever they did to solve that problem actually thinned the blood enough that his already compromised brain (remember the Vince versus Squirrel battle from a couple of years ago?) began to bleed again. In no time at all enough damage was done that he would not have been able to recover. He wasn't able to come out of the coma they had induced.
Is that explanation even close, Quinn?
lordy lordy lordy. Mom's memory is better than mine??? I'm in trouble. Also, I thought it was Dad that did battle with the squirrel. Did Vincent also get into the mix? How does that relate to Dad's passing?
And Quinn: if he had internal bleeding, why would they thin the blood? I'm so confused. Arrrrg. Get me a room in BGT.
Okay, here it is... The site of the original hemorrhage was an iliac(larger than the femeral artery) artery graft. He lost massive amounts of blood, including red blood cells and platelets(essential for clotting). They gave rapid and massive transfusions, but apparently not before he bled into his brain, probably from a weakened area caused by a previous trauma. That trauma could have been from a recent fall- I would not be surprised that Dad fell and didn't tell anyone, or from an injury during the Battle of Squirrel Tree.
I hope that reiterates- oops, I mean repeats- no, I mean explains what Mom already told you. If her lucidity confuses you again, try to remember we're here to help.
BTW, Mom saw an ambulance leave without a siren, in the wee hours of the morning yesterday. Perhaps there is a room available. Any takers? Michael? Anyone?
JK LTA, Q
Wasn't Dad's name Vince?
I think it was but I'm not positive. We a l w a y s called him "Dad" :D
Quinn, okay, I got the wrong artery for the first operation by a few inches. I sit corrected. I also figure that the other "stuff" that bled out of his [i]lilacs[/i] was the plasma, white blood cells, etc., probably in proportions oddly close to the normal proportions of blood makeup. I get that it easily could have been a large enough rupture that it didn’t clot itself down in the flower garden. But an old injury in the brain suddenly started bleeding again because there was a massive loss of blood elsewhere is where I get lost. Maybe the lack of volume in the arterial system caused a damaged artery to cave in and rupture? I know that doesn’t sound medical but it’s at least a little logical. I’m still not sure I’d call that COD as cerebral hemorrhage.
The Cause of Death, as certifed by the doctor, was "Intracranial Bleed, due to Gastrointestinal Bleed."
I think I'll start a new thread now. This one isn't doing much for me.
Jeeze. If the doctor didn't know, why didn't he just say so. :D
Post a Comment