If you think taking away the boxes and suitcase will keep Mom from packing everything she owns, you're underestimating her resourcefulness. Everything packs up nicely in one laundry bag, one pillowcase, one zip-up sweater, and three knee-highs. I found things this way when I stopped by (unannounced) to drop off some mail. She cried, of course, when I told her Lavin is insisting she stay. She cried when she spoke of how she was being ignored by her family. (I wanted to cry at that too.) I found the globe over the Blessed Mother statue broken and in the trashcan. Mom thinks she gave the statue itself to Mrs. Leonard or Mrs. Lawrence for safe keeping. She wasn't sure, but she thinks she gave it to one of her friends. I took the big plant with me and she insisted I take the drawing of Dad. It only makes her feel worse. She doesn't like that they're giving her dope. At least when I left she was returning things to her empty drawers.
Sorry to bring a cloud into your weekend visits to La-La land. I know y'all hate when I report this stuff. Why can't Lavin put her on some anti-depressant?
I stopped by Yarmouth to make sure T. S. Hanna hadn't invaded (she hadn't), and to pick tomatoes. I'll be ripping the tomato plants out soon, since they are mostly dying from lack of water or rotting on the vine, and attracting too many flies, etc. Somebody please come take the peppers. That plant still is healthy and full.
Time for a potent cocktail.
12 comments:
with all the TLAs and longer abbreviations we use, the first one that I could not figure out and had to google was "t.s.hanna." I thought that must be the name of some storybook rabbit that was also used for one that was invading Dad's tomato patch.
Sad sad sad.
The story of a politician here: He was diagnosed with early stages of Alzhiemers so he went home and the first thing he did was write on every photo in the house the name of the people in the photo and how he knew them. On the large ones of his wife he wrote her name then "this is my wife of 50 years. I love her and I should always be kind to her". He passed away recently and his wife said that, indeed, he had forgotten her as time passed and the disease progressed but he always trusted his handwritten note and never got angry with her.
Yeah, it was a hand-written note that conviced mom to go the BG.
I'll be down on 9/20, too, Stuart if you can be there. Board meeting at the diner? Looking forward to it.
Then we can take Mom to the bar again:)
Sorry, I was referring to Tropical Storm Hanna. She hit town on Saturday. I think she is distantly related to Tropical Storm Eliot.
I talked to Mrs. Leonard this morning. She visited Mom Sunday afternoon after I left. She did the best she could helping Mom unpack and settling her down. She does not have the Blessed Mother statue. Who wants to call Mrs. Lawrence.
Totally impressed that you can put an umlaut over the I in "naive"
Totally impressed that you knew it was an umlaut.
Hmmm....what to do, what to do! Bottom line, mom can't move home. Should we suggest another place? Is she too far gone to look around at other locations and then be happy with a selection. Or does she only want to go "home"? I read somewhere that "home" doesn't always mean a previous residence. It's the feeling of insecurity that the AD patient feels since they know that they are "not right".
My vote is new drugs for anti-depression. Drop the ALZ med. Maybe a trip to the bar. Who konws?!?
Ǻwwww, çớmẽ ốñ Lêlậñd. Ŷòü çâñ’ŧ ţéļĺ mề ţħâŧ ǖmĺãǖtş ïmpŕẹşŝ ŷòü ŧħãţ mǖçh!
Tropical Storm Eliot. Good one.
ooops. Blogger is not as advanced as I thought.
I vote for anti-depressants, too. The weeks (or longer) that it takes a person to get used to them in their system can be really rough, though. But ultimately, it could be the answer. Better living through chemistry!
Just to be safe, I'll take some first. Please send a supply through the post but please mark the customs declaration as "vitamins". I think anti-depressants are illegal in Singapore. We're required by law to be depressed.
Everybody wants to vote on everything. What was Dad's admonition re democracy in our family?
This family is not a democracy. It's a beneficent dictatorship. Alternatively, he also said that if we are voting, he gets nine votes (although I do remember him taking fewer votes back when Kennedy was still president).
Post a Comment