Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This weekend

I guess I'll drive up late Friday night if everyone is up for another board meeting on Saturday. It's tough finding a good time now that school and fall sports are back in session.

Since many of the locals have recommended selling the house now, here are a couple of thoughts on the other side. First, autumn is typically a relatively slow time to sell. Much more volume of buyers (and sellers) in the fall. Of course this is a unique house because of its size, so maybe we can under-weight this factor since it probably won't sell to a family.

Second, the world seems kind of focused on lower Manhattan these days, so I don't know how that too many people are looking at buying and financing. Also bank credit has tightened up a bunch. And this started well before Lehman fell. Usually you don't want a house to sit on the market for a long time. The again, these aren't usual times.

Third, I frankly don't know what to do with the money when/if we get it. What would be smart and safe? Even some money market funds are now valued below $1, due to underlying investment failure. So the mutuals are reeling. Maybe they would be way down/heading back when the house sells, so this wouldn't be so bad, but I'm glad we didn't sell it in August.

Let's discuss.

10 comments:

Gilmom5 said...

Ok, so now John says he's coming home this weekend. You get rid of these pests and they always seem to return! Anyway, I'll be happy to come for the day on Saturday - for a board meeting and a visit with Mom. If we are taking her out to dinner (at someone's house or a restaurant) I'll stay for that, too. Probably heading home Sat night, though.

Looking forward to seeing everybody!
-Lel

quinn said...

I'll be glad to do an earlyish dinner at my house on Saturday. That might be good for Mom and the Gilmours. We can also do the board meeting- instead of breakfast, appetizers- here before we get Mom.
Anybody talk to Paul lately? According to Mom, he has not been to visit. Matbe he can pick Mom up or come early for the board meeting. BTW(got to use it!) Anyone is welcome to stay here.
BTWAFYI- Michael, the area around scar tissue is often weakened and therefore, more susceptible to breakdown.
TTFN, Q

Megan said...

Matt and I went to the Village last night. According to the bartender on duty, Paul 'finally' had a night off. It figures. I later text-messaged him that we had been in, 'sorry to have missed you' and 'board meeting saturday.' He didn't respond to my text. I won't have another night to stop in there, but I'll try to call him as soon as we firm up the place and time of our get-together.

I went to visit Mom today. She was a wreck and was livid with me. Something to do with Dr. Lavin changing his practice and having a meeting to discuss it, but the Lavin's nurse wouldn't give Mom the info about it because her daughter Megan had already handled it. Like I said, Mom was pissed at me... until I convinced her that it must have been someone else. (Sorry, Quinn. ILU)

Levelle said...

I really wish Lavin's office would know better and not call her!!!! That was really stupid of them. I guess I'm really glad that I didn't stop in today. Hopefully she'll be better on Friday when I do stop in. If this weekend isn't good for you out-of-towners, we can pick another one.

As for the house, I just hate to see it (as if I've stopped by) sit empty and waiting for something to happen. Life is crazy enough here and dealing with Mom issues, that I just thought it better to take one cumbersome issue off of the table. I don't know about everyone, but I really don't have time to stop by and take care of maintenance etc. issues. It was totally a selfish suggestion. Remember, we do have the option of letting Jamie's mom stay there. There is also the neighbor Chris who told me that if we were going to sell that she had a friend interested if the price was right. I understand that it's not a good time to sell, but Dad picked a sucky time to die ;-( .

JMTCW - LA - Levelle

quinn said...

I spoke with Danny. Saturday is their 22nd anniversary and they will be going out that night. He can be available in the early afternoon for a board meeting. I think that is better for Levelle,too. We can do it here instead of a diner and possibly tackle some real issues. (not that previous diner meetings haven't been productive!) Out-of-towners can visit Mom in the a.m. and then come over. Later, someone(A.K.A. Paul) can pick Mom up and bring her over for dinner. I think I'm going to Emmittsburg early in the a.m. for a mini retreat. If anyone is interested, you're welcome to join me. Please give some feedback so I'm prepared.TTYL
LTA,Q

Stuart said...

Danny and I also spoke about Mom's desire to see Paul. We decided that if he didn't come out on Saturday, any of us inclined to do so would take Mom to the VI Saturday evening.

Michael said...

Paul is usually at Dunkirk between 6:00am and 3:00pm. Feel free to stop in there with Mom anytime. If anyone finds the key Mom had, you don't even have to knock to wake him.

Stuart said...

Leaving now. See you in the am

quinn said...

I am planning on having lunch, snacks and dinner available for all who are around. It seems as though after noon is good for most people. I'm not sure if that means 12:30 or 4pm or somewhere in between, but any time is good with me.
TJI- Just spoke with Danny and Leland. Leland is going to pick MOm up late morning/early afternoon to bring her over. Danny will be coming over about the same time. We will ask Paul to take Mom home so he can see her new digs(AFT). Megan, if you have time and want to do stuff for BLTs, that would be great. I'm going to do chicken salad and salad.
Hasta manana, Q

Megan said...

Okay, I've got the BLT stuff, especially the T. Lots of T! I'll also try to get a dessert done. Cookies or scones.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles