Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sorry to bump the "Oh Crap" entry...

but with the move of 825-0402 to BG we have other considerations:


1) The phone transfer means internet/wireless will not be available at Yarmouth either. Take your cell phone when you go there.
2) We have no TV at Yarmouth currently, but we have not cancelled the cable service yet. One alternative is to get a TV and change the cable service to include internet at about $110/month with a one-year contact. Another alternative is cancel it all and put the money towards BG.

Any opinions? Paul, if you read this blog, this would be a good time to speak up if you were counting on using any of these amenities.

13 comments:

Danny said...

Verizon order #924619890 to transfer Mom's existing phone line #410-825-0402 from Yarmouth Rd to BGT should be completed by about 2pm to 3pm today. Her listing in the phone directory will be under "Levelle G. Smith, 6451 North Charles Street".
Phone & internet service at Yarmouth will be terminated today.

Levelle said...

Just me, but I really don't see us needing a one year contract for anything.

I'm just asking, but have we/anyone thought about what we are going to do with the house - sell?, rent?, leave empty with Megan working there a few days a week? I know Mom doesn't need the money yet to pay for BGT and the housing market stinks. If we are planning on using it for a while (out of towners etc.) I say keep the internet - drop the rest.

My 2cents - Love, Levelle

Stuart said...

From a financial perspective, the disposition of the house would depend on the expected relative performance of the real estate market vs the stock market. Given the recent sales in Wiltondale, it isn't risky to leave the equity there for a while.

But I think we all want to be sure that everyone, Mom most importantly, is comfortable with where we are headed. Will Mom accept Brighton Gardens, or might she need temporary quarters, with home care? Will she be OK with us disposing of so many possessions now?

Sounds like good discussion topics for a board meeting.

Levelle said...

Yummmm Board Meeting!

Stuart said...

Does Mom have a an actual telephone in her apartment. There was an extra, new corded phone in the basement, or she can have the one in her bedroom.

Gilmom5 said...

There is a white princess phone in the cabinet in her room.

Stuart said...

Thanks. If someone would plug that in I'll be happy to call her frequently.

Danny said...

I think a Board Meeting is in order for this weekend or ASAP... lots of little things to discuss.

Sorry... I'm wavering now on whether to plug in Mom's phone immediately or hold off a bit. When Mom is 'good', the phone is a plus. When she's not 'good',are we prepared for the "Get me out of here" calls in the middle of the night, etc? I guess we have to do it now but I sure wish I was better prepared.

Michael said...

My vote is to go ahead and plug Mom into the world via the phone. You could always take ot back later but I think it will help a lot. Besides, she took phone privledges away from me when I was dating Laurie Crawford so I'd enjoy taking it back if needed. Revenge is a dish best served cold. :p

Re the house: my proxy goes to Stuart but I know you all will reach a wise consensus. I think we should keep it for a while so that Mom does not get unsettled, so that there is at least a very bad fallback (better than nothing), and I think the house will actually do better than the stock market in the short term. We don't need a phone there as everyone has a mobile. The internet is little money if it is needed. Cable might be a luxury.

Stuart said...

Weren't you up late, Michael? This isn't a contest.

Michael said...

Melanie is in Indonesia for work. There is less incentive to get into bed.

Megan said...

I have a small tv I can leave at Yarmouth for a while.

Stuart said...

Good. I can watch the Os this weekend.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles