- Count on at least 90 days for adjustment, probably more considering mom is also dealing with dad's death.
- Her internist has been a lame source of medical care over recent years. She should be seen by specialists- at least a geriatrician who could lead us to a geriatric psychiatrist and/or neurologist who may be helpful.
- We are paying BG big bucks and it is their job to address mom's adjustment to her new living arrangements. (Is Quinn or anyone in touch with them about mom's care plan and its efficacy? Should we be, or are we, in touch with them on a near daily basis about her progress? (Separate phone calls from each of us probably wouldn't be appreciated.) Or if one of you is already receiving frequent updates, maybe I'm just not hearing about it... ?)
- We really should be limiting our contact with mom until she's had more time to adjust. (I hate this. ) This includes phone calls from Singapore. (I told them about Michael's most recent bummer of a call.)
I can't remember if BG has a psychologist/counselor/bartender available as a resource. Or, if we want to go down this road, should we make our own arrangements? Maybe we could discuss this at a board meeting soon, though I think this weekend is inconvenient for a few of us, at least.
Some of the available resources include: Johns Hopkins Bayview Cognitive Disorder Clinic (Bayview), Johns Hopkins Memory Center, Comprehensive Geriatric Services Memory Clinic (Dulaney Valley Rd, Towson), GBMC Senior Services, Neuropsychiatry Program at Sheppard Pratt, as well as several geriatric psychiatrists.
In case you're interested, the Alzheimer's Association has a national 24/7 helpline - 800.272.3900. The Maryland office can be reached at 410.561.9099 or 800.443.2273. I'm not sure of the hours of operation for the local phone numbers, but the women I talked to were eager to listen and offer support.
Recommended Reading:
Learning to Speak Alzheimer's - Joanne Koenig Coste
The 36-Hour Day - Nancy L. Mace
The Validation Breakthrough - Naomi Feil
On another topic, do any of you plan on going to the dedication of the columbaria tomorrow? It's at 7 pm at the cemetery, unless it rains. Then it will just be a mass at St. Mary's.
10 comments:
I hate typos.
what typos?
speaking of which, is it time we officially change Mom's maiden name to Geriatry?
I;m going to the Dedication and I just talked to Mom on the phone and told her that I would pick her up at 6:30. She was fine with that. I said, "okay, it's a date then. I'll see you then. Bye." No time for her to wimper and cry. (and less stress for me to hear.) I think she just needs to start making real friends there who have been throught this same situation. They will be the real wall for her to bounce her ideas, complaints, feelings off of. I know that she told Dr. Lavin that she would not go to a counselor. Maybe BGT has group meetings. I think as far a medical issues, Quinn in the BGT contact. I'm pretty sure that they will call her for other issues too. We can look into having at least a weekly update from them - to Quinn or someone else.
Love, Levelle
Michael, you're like my typo guardian angel. I'm gonna learn how to fix 'em myself one day.
Megan, Thanks for the AlzAssoc info. I'll make it to a meeting one of these months. Oh yea, have you ever heard of 'spell check'? I'll show you how to use it if you want ;-).
Ok, I voted on the 'Legacy of Love' contribution, then dipped my finger in purple ink ;-).
I'll be at the dedication mass this evening. I dropped by the cemetery this morning and decorated Dad's 'room' especially for the occasion ;-).
What would we do without emoticons?
Every day I have called St, Mary's about the nuche. They have taken my number each time and said that they would get Jerry Schmitt to call me back. No return calls.
No wonder they've only sold one. (angry emoticon)
Anyway, tell Mom that she owns the one that she wants.
I think I voted and it registered. I got an error message though instead of results.
I am going with my family for a visit to see mom tomorrow. I had planned on talking to her case manager to get an update and to arrange for weekly updates. Sorry, Megan- I don't think I can handle or would want a daily update, unless there is a problem. I am also going to ask Fr.Art to go see Mom or ask him to get Fr.Tewes to do it. I'll let you know how that goes.
Post a Comment