Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's a New Day

OMG! I was there and your blogs are still depressing me. I only have a few minutes, but I thought a happy update is in order. This morning when Levelle and I got there (together, because neither of us was brave enough to go it alone!) Mom was sitting up eating breakfast and she gave us a big smile when she saw us. She was as clear and chipper as I have seen her in recent weeks. One of the first things she did was apologize for being mean to me and um her daughter-in-law (?I guess that would be Megan;-) I was really surprised that she even remembered yesterday. I repeat, she was very clear and coherent today.... here are a few of her funny moments:
  • First, she was talking about her children and how relatively good we were, however she had to go that extra step to point out that Leland was her "Princess" blah!
  • She redeemed herself when we were talking about Aunt Melmarie and how annoying she is to mom. I said "I guess that's why you got so mad at me, because I remind you of her"- some of the things Mom called me yesterday were Miss Bossy and Miss Know-it-all. Levelle chuckled at that because she frequently tells me I'm most like A.M. Mom, however shook her head and slowly pointed to Levelle and said "You're the one that's always reminded me of Aunt Melmarie. tee-hee Levelle didn't find that as funny as I did.
  • This one was probably a had-to-be-there, but I'll try to recap (for posterity, you know) There was only one old plastic recliner in the room, so Levelle and I kept taking turns in it while Mom laid in bed. You know the kind of chair- it makes a fart sound when you sit and leaves a big indent when you get up. Well, Mom hadn't really noticed when she was lying down. They brought her lunch tray in, Mom sat up on the side of the bed and Levelle got out of the chair to help her. Mom then noticed the big indent in the chair and behind Levelle's back made this priceless "Oh my gosh!" look and whispers to me " Did you see what she did to that chair!" Levelle did not think that was all that funny either. Sometimes I just don't understand Levelle.
  • I think they were particularly funny because at the start of our visit Levelle and I commented on how good Mom looked. Levelle proceeded to point out that Mom is always good when she's around! Maybe she was right. Mom really was on today =)

TTFN, LTA, Q

9 comments:

quinn said...

Soory for al the tippos. Im reelly tired.

Danny said...

Thank you girls for the toils and for the happy update. It does sound like a 'good' day was had.
I'm assuming that the MRI showed nothing out of the ordinary? Did BG have any comments upon Mom's return there or on steps to be taken to prevent re-shipping her back to GBMC? Did my little local bro' make an appearance?

Megan said...

As far as I know, little local bro was a no-show. The MRI showed nothing more than the expected age-related decline. And I don't know what BG said about her return. I can stop in or call there tomorrow morning to check in. (And when I say 'I', I mean Quinn :)

By the time the discharge papers came through (at 4pm), Carol Leonard had arrived to visit. She insisted on taking Mom back to BG, so I let her. She had all the necessary paperwork to give BG, as well as new prescriptions. She also had instructions to ask BG to bring dinner up to Mom's room. Mom's confusion level was pretty high, but she was very pleasant, at least. I hope whatever new medication they put her on (sorry, I forget the name) will help give her the restorative sleep she needs.

Levelle said...

Ummm, confusion level...pretty high. Mom actually had several visitors and callers today at BGT. Uncle Bob arrived about the time Mom and Mrs. Leonard arrived. Mom told him that she was in the hospital because she just had her babies. Uncle Jim called and Mom told him that she had been to the hospital to see Quinn's babies. Later Paul arrived. He got her to watch TV for a while. Then she was off to search the halls looking for her babies. He was able to get her back into her room before he left. (fat chance she'll stay there ;-) ) Quinn decided that it was best to call and speak with the Nurse on duty to fill her in on the events of the last few days. The hospital charts are one thing, but the nurse was happy to learn more of the specifics from someone who was there. As of 8:15ish, they had not received her meds yet. They thought that they would be delivered soon. Quinn told them that she has missed a lot of sleep and that could be making her confusion worse this evening. When they arrive, Mom will receive her Haldol (maybe a sleep aid too, I don't know) I will go in the morning to check to make sure that she is re-adjusting to BGT. I will also try to get her to bathe. An aide actually came in while Paul was there and offered to help Mom take a shower. Mom turned her down. :-O

Keep saying those prayers folks!

Love to all - Levelle

Gilmom5 said...

just call me "your highness"

Michael said...

What ever happened to Marie Antoinette?

Danny said...

Sorry. The last 2 comments went 'zing'...right over my head.

Michael said...

Summary for the confused: Mom said Leland was her princess, Leland said we should kiss her butt, Michael said what happens to royalty.


Did anyone notice how well Danny communicates with and relates to Mom and also how easily he gets confused by idle banter? hmmmmm.....

Danny said...

Yes, my dementedness comes in handy sometimes ;-)

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles