Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Okay, you can tell Mom now....

We made it back from headhunter territory safe and sound. I wish I had learned to use my camera better before the trip but we still got some good shots that you won't believe. Between Melanie and I, we took about 450 photos over 4 days and had some awesome experiences. It will take a while to sort through the photos but they will be on Facebook soon. I got some good portraits of the people and Melanie got the magic one of the elusive Proboscis monkey. The photos of the land, housing and jungle should surprise you but give me time to sort them.

Flat Stanley went with us, Stuart, so tell Shane that Stan is packing his bags now for the flight to Durham. It make take a bit of work but I hope by Monday he'll be flying.

I must admit that I am still taken aback a bit when in a motorized canoe sailing up-river and we pass kids playing in the river, then 10 meters later seeing a woman bathing, then 10 meters later seeing another woman washing her clothes, then another 10 meters later seeing a man walking up from the outhouse with the hole in the floor over the river.

Hygiene is strange there. They bathe by scrubbing better than a doctor before surgery but they eat fish from nets that also catch the floaters going down river. The funny thing is that our Indonesian guide got sick but Melanie & I didn't. More later.

4 comments:

Stuart said...

You couldn't row your own canoe?

Shane is looking forward to the flat stanley reunion, but we are not in a rush. You probably have other pressing matters to take care of. Thanks.

Megan said...

Did you check your body for leeches and other parasites? And I know I'm culturally deficient, but who is flat stanley?

Michael said...

flat stanley is my homework project from Shane. FS is suppose to visit someplace else on earth and come back to Durham to tell his story.

Michael said...

...and I would have been happy to row but we went about 55 miles a day.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles