Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Aunt Melmarie Died Last Night

Sorry for the sad post, but I wanted to be sure Michael got word. Uncle Jim called Quinn this morning to let her know.

Jim and Bob took Mom out to lunch on Monday and then they all went for a 3 hour visit with Melmarie. It was her birthday. She had a bad day that day, but Uncle Jim said she was much more peaceful yesterday. The plan was to take her back home to the Mother House today, but she passed away during the night.

No funeral plans known now but it could be as early as Friday.

I'm going to miss her! She had the cutest face and the best smiling eyes. And every time I try on a navy blue outfit and look in a dressing room mirror I would always say, "dang, I look like Aunt Melmarie" and then put it back on the rack. Not really a disparaging remark on Aunt Melmarie. I just don't want to dress like a nun.

Love you all,

Lel

4 comments:

Levelle said...

Wow, at least she did not suffer long. God rest her soul. This was a really hard year on her. Wonder what Mom will think of this.

Love to all - Levelle

Danny said...

I'll miss her much as well. There was never a dull moment when she entered the room.

Megan just texted that she is with Mom now and she's doing good.

As to what Mom's thoughts are... my guess is she's jealous that it isn't her but her sister who is now at rest :(

Megan said...

Before I tell of my day with Mom, I'll respond to Michael's request for crab eaters. I'd be happy to have a crab feast at my house while the Singapore Two are in town.

So the plan early today was to meet Uncle Jim at Mom's at 11:30, to tell her about Aunt Melmarie. Thinking that 11:30 was going to be way too late, I arrived at 10:00. It turns out that 10 was too late too. According to Terry at the BG front desk, Mom had gone to the Mother House very early to check on Mass times. Upon returning, she handed Terry a slip of paper on which Aunt Melmarie's death notice and a short prayer were typed. (Mom then apparently headed right back to the Mother House.) We were very worried that Mom had learned of A.M.'s death only by finding this paper. I finally found Mom when she returned from her second trip to the Mother House.

Bit by bit over the course of the day, we figured out that the Mother House folks, knowing that Mom often shows up early, were keeping an eye out for her. Sr. Pat Glicka was immediately alerted and kindly gave Mom the news.

Uncle Jim arrived and we went to noon Mass. During my daydreaming part of the service I got to thinking that the upside of the week's events would be that Mom wouldn't have the time or mind to dwell on us selling the house.

So... Jim, Mom and I were later having a nice lunch at BG. And Jim says, "Well I had a nice lunch at Jerry's Belvedere with Bob and your mother on Monday. And then I thought it would be nice to drive by Yarmouth." AAAaaarrrgggh! I said something to the effect of, "Let's not bring that up just now!!!" Mom kind of let it drop when I quickly found another topic, but later, when I took her to Rite Aid, she said that she was hoping to go to Yarmouth instead of right back to BG. Clearly, my taking her to Rite Aid via Bellona Avenue instead of York Road didn't block any thoughts of Yarmouth. Don't worry, I didn't take her. But I told her that maybe next week, I'd take her over there to weed or cleanup, to help get it ready for the new family.

Overall, it wasn't too bad a day. Mom was in relatively good spirits and as clear-headed about Melmarie as I could have hoped for. (We did have to spend a minute or two trying to figure out how to get the bathroom light switches to work, though... (I got them working again: switch up, light on... switch down, light off... who knew?))

The funeral arrangements are:

Friday at 1:30-- a "welcome home" service where Melmarie is brought back to the Mother House from Mitchell-Weidefelds and laid out in the chapel.

Friday 3-5 pm and 7-9 -- Viewings

Friday at 7:30 -- the Wake

Saturday at 10 am-- Funeral, followed by a burial at Notchcliff, followed by a lunch back at the Mother House.

By the way, Leland. When we made the funeral arrangements with Sr. Pat, I volunteered you to do a reading :)

LTA - Megan

Michael said...

Megan said: "By the way, Leland. When we made the funeral arrangements with Sr. Pat, I volunteered you to do a reading."

...but she failed to add... "so that all the nuns could say 'wow, doesn't she look just like Melmarie'."

Lel, wear a dark blue dress just for the fun of it. :D

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles