Monday, July 27, 2009

Yarmouth is Almost Empty: good news and bad

We Baltimoreans (and Pennsyltuckians) have had a busy week cleaning and clearing out the last of the things at Yarmouth. Maybe some of you locals should share with the 'far-aways' some of the treasures you found at the house. My favorite (that Danny uncovered) was Dad's wood-burning set. Inside the box was Dad's handwritten warning: "Tip Gets Very Hot!"

The bad news: I went to Yarmouth early this morning to finish vacuuming the now empty spaces. I discovered that the house had been broken into overnight! Don't worry. It doesn't appear that any damage was done. As the house was almost empty, the only thing I could see that was missing was that nasty old wooden bookcase. You remember, the one with the doors that had haphazard, pieced together bits of yellowed glass. I think it was just headed for the scrap pile anyway, so no harm done.

By the way, I will no longer be hosting any family events at my house. And don't anybody stop by to visit. Especially not Danny.

Love to all,

Megan

5 comments:

Stuart said...

Since no one else replied, let me just say that I appreciated the humor. Didn't want you to think it had flown by us all.

Danny said...

Megan- Did you call the Wiltondale Citizens on Patrol? You just might find that one of their staff's fingerprints match those of the culprit.

I guess I have Capt. Edward A. Murphy to thank for this day. Ever heard of him? He was an Air Force Project MX981 engineer working at Edwards Air Force Base in 1949. Long story shortened, he is responsible for the infamous Murphy's Law. Keep your fingers crossed and pray that things straighten out before the Yarmouth buyers' walk-through this evening.

Megan said...

Thanks for 'getting it' Stuart. Not to worry, everyone, Danny's oak bookcase is safely in his possession. His comments about Wiltondale C.O.P. refers to the fact that he tried to 'stick me' with the magnetic C.O.P. signs he found in the garage by applying them to the passenger side of my car when I wasn't looking.

I did hear from Danny after his walk-through. (I use the term 'hear' not so much literally, as my hearing and my cell phone's reception are poor devices for hearing Danny's soft voice). Apparently the walk-through went well enough. The buyers questioned the contractors licenses (or lack thereof) but ultimately signed off on the fixes. Danny promised to stand by the work done. Settlement is at 6:00 on Wednesday, after which we owe Danny our undying gratitude for pulling it all off. And a beer.

Michael said...

I got it too, at least half way. I knew Megan was kidding about the break in but I figured she likely did have the bookcase in her house. I was afraid to say anything in case I got her in trouble with Danny. My bad.

Yes, a big thanks to Danny as well as other brothers, sisters and in-laws who have been there cleaning up, fixing up, maintaining the garden, shovelling snow, dealing with agents, tax men and insurance wallies, etc over the past year.

Danny said...

De nada, sibs, but thanks.

Ummm... Megan, you DID drive off with one of those signs. Paul slipped it back on just before you departed ;-)

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles