Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Third Hand Account

Just talked to Quinn. She got a message from BG at 12:30pm that Mom has had several "episodes" and is wandering around very upset and paranoid. Mom thinks they are trying to shrink her room and that there's unknown boxes in her room that she wants removed. A friend of Mom's had just showed up and was going up to her room with her to try to figure things out. The nurse who left the message wants permission to have mom see the geriatric psychiatrist. She thinks this will help Mom a lot. Quinn is trading messages with the nurse but is planning on telling them to go ahead (just be sure to keep Lavin in the loop)
Never a dull moment! I am amazed at how much Mom seems to have deteriorated. I wonder how long before she has to go in the Alzheimer's unit? I don't know how her mental status compares to people who are in there currently. Does anyone have a friend who's been through this?
Pray for Megan - I think she's there now or at least on the way. She doesn't know about the call earlier. Be interesting to see what she finds.

Peace, people.
Lel

7 comments:

Gilmom5 said...

After consultation with Dr. Lavin, he's going to put her back on the Nemenda (Alzheimer's medicine), since that wasn't causing the spells. He doesn't recommend the geriatric psychiatrist (said that could be BG way of fast-tracking to Alz Unit). If that type of doctor would really help, we'll find one through Lavin. More to come. Keep praying for Megan.

Danny said...

Dang! I wish I DID know someone who has been down these roads before. A map or GPS device would be very helpful but I'm guessing that all the twists, turns and bumps wouldn't be clearly shown anyway.
I'm leaving now and heading to BG to see if I can be of assistance... and praying on the way :(

Danny said...

Still praying here. Quinn caught me before leaving and said Mom has had many visitors today. And I just spoke with Megan who says the situation appears to be under control for the moment.
Girls, I'm spending the night here so please holler if things change. I can be at BG within about 20 minutes... 30-35 if rush hour is still ongoing.

Megan said...

Mom was definitely out of sorts- her paranoia wandered from: a) lost glasses, b)lost pocketbook, c)who is Bob (her brother), and why would he want to have lunch with her? d)"I'm not good for much of anything these days." (It was interesting how clearly she expressed that sentiment when she has trouble coming up with so many other words.)

Hopefully the Nemenda will have her back to her old (new?) self soon. I took her old Gentry/O'Conor photo album to her, as well as a new, empty album. The old album is falling apart and losing pictures, and I thought she could make a long term project out of moving photos from one to another. I hope it doesn't backfire and just give her a new thing to fret about. Supposedly, reminiscing with photos is a good activity for Alzheimer patients.

I'll be stopping by BG with new glasses on my way to work tomorrow.

Megan said...

Oh yeah, Quinn reported to me that Lavin was putting mom back on Nemenda immediately, since it wasn't the cause of the spells, and she had shown improvements when she was on it.

Danny said...

Thanks again Megan. G'night all.

Levelle said...

I'll "pop in" this afternoon after I pick Kevin up from school. How fast can Mom get on Nemenda?!?! I'll set up a bath for tomorrow morning and then wash and dry her hair.

Love to all - Levelle

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles