Thanks to all of you who post how the weekends in Baltimore go. It really helps the rest of us to keep up with Mom's development. But my weekend was great so I thought I should update myself.
Friday morning I flew to NYC and met up with a group of old college friends. We went to Nassau Coliseum to see the Dead (formerly Grateful). The parking lot scene was cool and the show was pretty darn cool itself. I had seen them in Greensboro NC a few weeks ago as they opened their first tour in several years, and I had been following the reaction to their shows since then. I just figured, what the hell. I'd travel to see them when I was poor but had no responsibilities, so why not try it when the opposites were true. I spent the next morning walking off a hangover in Manhattan. I can recommend the Chelsea Hotel, on 23rd Street. Besides all of the famous people who lived (and died) there, they have a tremendous amount of modern art and hipsters all over the place.
I passed up a ticket for the Saturday show at Madison Square Garden to return to Durham where another old friend was visiting. Then Sunday morning was Shane's First Communion, followed by a nice brunch at the Washington Duke. Quality time with the whole family - even Rhett came out.
Then the boy and I headed over to Chapel Hill to see the Duke lacrosse team beat UNC for the ACC title. We stopped in Durham to pick up the girls, then went to Raleigh to see the Hurricanes beat the NJ Devils to stay alive in the NHL playoffs. Tow great games on Sunday. Both teams have are long-shots to win their respective titles, but it is fun to see them playing well this late in the year.
Every weekend should have such nice weather, good friends and times with the family, and successful sporting matches. I hope yours' was nice also. See you all soon.
11 comments:
I worked all weekend.
I tried to call mom but I have been having trouble getting her. I think I keep choosing bad times. Isn't she up at 10:00pm?
Just to fill you all in, Melanie and I won't be able to come back in the end of May as planned. We are now looking at late June / early July. I hope that does not screw up Stuart's surprise and delayed 50th birthday party.
Did I tell you I swam with a hammerhead?
A sensitive question since I do diddly from here: is Dad still pushing up the new grass or is he in an eye-level condominium now?
In the ground.
When I took Mom there a few weeks ago, she talked very clearly about how Dad loved that spot by the statue, and she did too. But the altar/condo is also very close to her and that is where she wanted them to be. So I guess she is ok with Dad staying there til they get reunited. Is there any rules/technical issues about moving him? Maybe we should find out. (That is a nicer way of saying, Is he in a box that is going to rot in the dirt?)
That's sort of my worry. If we have bought the condo's they want and Dad will not disappear before they hook up again, I am happy to wait. I'm even happy to pay for a temporary marker for his current landed property. Finally, I am not fussed about which spot they end up as long as they are happy, together and have no objections.
Our Baltimore weekend-
Levelle showered Mom, I plucked her, and Paul dusted her room with a pair of her old skanky underwear (at her request). So not quite a Dead show, but there were a few moments there when I was gagging and wishing I were dead!
J.K.- That was an accurate summary but it wasn't really that bad. For the record, Paul has been a really good sport lately with regard to long, quality visits with mom.
Glad you had a good time, Stuart. Happy early birthday because I never seem to remember to call when I'm supposed to.
BTW- I believe the box is in a concrete vault, not directly in the dirt.
Thanks for those comments. Glad to hear about the vault.
Anyone have any word on Yarmouth? Any visitors or inquiries? I just got a call from the investment guy and I want to plan what to with her money. Also I have to get another insurer as the Baltimore Equitable will cancel her next week.
Last week, I think Danny said that he had just called Tommy, per mom's request, and told him we would list the house with him. I haven't heard anything about the house since then.
HBTTY,
HBTTY,
HBTDS,
HBTTY... AFM
Q
Sounds like fun Stuart...nice way to say good-bye to your youth ;-). Happy almost birthday!
Love, Levelle
PS I cut her hair too.
I'm finally connected to the internet again, after 5 days of connection troubles. So... First of all, Bappy Hirthday, Stuart! I'm drinking a toast in your honor.
I stopped at Yarmouth to cut the grass today (the 7-day forcast here looks very wet). Danny arrived before I left. He is showing the house this evening, first to an agent-with-client, and then to an older couple who live nearby and take walks past the house. They told Danny that they had always told each other that if the house ever came on the market...
Can't wait to hear (something good) from Danny. In fact, it's always special to hear anything from Danny :)
Happy Birthday, Stuart. Haden is behind me echoing the same. You make it look so painless.
Thanks, y'all. Not sure I have another 50 in me, but I'll give it a go.
Happy Birthday, Stuart! Sad that I can't even post on time for someone's birthday, much less mail a card :(
Party at the Blanchard's this weekend. The parents won't be home so we're having a kegger.
Post a Comment