Mrs. Rafferty's visit lasted long enough that Mom couldn't get a good seat for the 12:30 lunch. So she took me up on my offer to go to the mall. While we were sharing a subway sub (Mom couldn't believe the prices and almost wanted to leave without eating anything!), Mrs. Grant (from St. Mary's/Rosebank) and her daughter Debbie happened by. So we all ate together, and Mom and Mrs. Grant had a great visit. Debbie said we should do this again sometime soon, which would be great except that Mrs. Grant repeated several times that she would never be moving from Rosebank. I don't think we should let them hang out together. Those Grants were always a bad influence :) (kidding!)
In case anyone is interested in a Grant family update (pay attention here, you smokers):
- Mr. Grant died from lung cancer ages ago, when the kids were young.
- Meg and Jamie have had heart bypass already. Meg is a year younger than Leland if I remember correctly.
- And Robbie had a brain aneurysm earlier this year. All of these issues are smoking related.
Enough lecturing. Does anyone care if I go through the Yarmouth pantry and take the canned and boxed foods to my church's food pantry? They've been begging, but then I imagine all our local parishes would be happy to have some. Maybe you local folks could meet me there one day, and we can weed the garden and the pantry together. Wouldn't that be fun??!
Later, sprinkles.
3 comments:
Please do donate the food.
Also, I called Cavalier about why the modem couldn't ping the internet and they said I had to be at the computer when we called the help-desk. So if you could try to call them that would be great. Almost certain that I shouldn't have hit the reset button on the modem and they will make us exchange it. Maybe we should cancel the service. I thought they were billing me for it driectly anyway but, now I hear the bill went to the house?
Megan-I can meet you at Yarmouth any late afternoon next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Do any of these days work for you?
Paul touched base with me last night. He went to bingo @ BG with Mom late yesterday. Mom felt he was a 'lucky charm' because she & others at her table were doing all the winning. He said he'd be back for a visit with her this Friday.
Other Paul updates:
Scary Mary just got divorced... apparently on grounds of spousal abuse with SHE as the abusing, not abused, party. Why am I not surprised? Paul is trying to get copies of a known police report for leveraging better visitation with and/or custody of Chris. Mom counseled him to just go for the better visitation...she still has wits about her ;-).
And Scary Terry's 100 year old Grandma recently passed to the 'other side'. Terry is apparently due some inheritance and tells Paul she hasn't forgotten debts owed to him.
Peace out for now...Brother D
Another week, another call.
Frankly, I think Mom is more lucid now than she has been for the past 20 years. We only had a 20 minute chat because she wanted to get to lunch but during that time she told me that 1) she likes Obama and has been rooting for him since the primaries, 2)she doesn't trust McCain and thinks he's loosing his grip on reality, and 3)Palin is a nut case that is so stupid she should go back to California. If Mom had only said Alaska, she would have scored a 100% on the test.
I filled Mom in on the financial crisis but confirmed to her that her money is safe. She reminded me that the last time things sounded this bad was the depression and they closed the banks the day before she was born. She's got a better memory than I thought. I can only remember back to when I got my tonsils out.
Love to all,
Michael
Post a Comment