My day with Mom today. She was feeling very "strange" and weak, and I really had to urge her to have lunch. After lunch I talked her into going for a ride to enjoy the changing leaves. I was envisioning a trip up Dulaney Valley Road, and maybe through Loch Raven. As soon as we started Mom said she'd like to visit Emily. No problem. Too bad Emily wasn't home. Mom suggested that since we were close, she'd like a quick trip to the cemetery. No problem. Of course, as we approached she remembered that she heard some kind of service might be soon. Thanks, Uncle Jim, for giving her something to fret over. I gave her the details and told her Uncle Jim was picking her up to take her. (Right?)
It was too blustery to stay long, so after a quick trip to the altar she was ready to go. We headed up Charles Street, me thinking a shorter trip through Ruxton might be pretty. When we got to Stevenson Lane, Mom cried, "Turn here! (sniff, sniff) I'd like to see the... house." I asked if she was sure she wanted to do that, and she said, "As long as there isn't a For Sale sign." So we went. As we drove there I assured her that we'd been taking care of it, that we put out a few halloween decorations. I debated whether or not I would lie about not having a key should she want to go inside. In case she did want to go in, I filled her in that we had gone through lots of clothes and that Levelle was taking them to St. V de P.
It must of been my prayer to Dad when we were at the cemetery, because Mom seemed perfectly happy to just look at the house from her seat in the car. Or maybe it was a good thing she was feeling too weak. I had to explain that the car in the driveway was Paul's, that he was driving her car... I did gently say that we ought to think of doing something with the house soon. (A few minutes later she suggested that my daughter should live there after she finishes school this year. Sorry, Michael. You snooze, you lose :) Anyhow, the drive-by wasn't as bad as I feared. Maybe somewhere down the road she could handle a visit inside. Or not.
Regarding the letter from St. Mary's, it reads:
On Sunday, Nov. 2nd, St. Mary Parish will be celebrating its 159th Anniversary. As is our custom we will combine the regular 10 am and 12 noon Masses and hold a special Anniversary Mass at 10:30 am in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Since this year our anniversary coincides with All Soul's Day we are taking this opportunity to engage in a special remembrance of our recently deceased parishioners. The parish will remember our deceased sisters and brothers who have died the past two years. At the Prayer of the Faithful the names of each deceased will be called in thanksgiving for their presence in our lives.
We invite you, your family, relatives and friends to join us for this special Mass at St. Mary's Cemetery on Homeland Avenue, the site of the original church. We will also use this opportunity to dedicate our two new columbaria which were installed this summer. A reception will follow in the adjacent K of C Hall. In the event of inclement weather the Mass will be held at [the church] with the reception in the church hall.
We look forward to your presence... (yada, yada)
(P.S. call the church office after 3 on Saturday if the weather is questionable 410-435-5900)
End of letter. Any of you plan on going?
5 comments:
Now they tell us..... Mom should go or is this the thing that Uncle Jim already mentioned?
We knew Mom would want to go to this Mass, we just didn't want her to know about it until Sunday morning. Because she can't keep track of days, she frets endlessly in anticipation of any event, and worries about missing it. Quinn told Uncle Jim not to tell Mom about it. Oops.
Megan posts this long, thoughtful entry and gets two feedback comments while Leland puts up a team image and everybody wants to talk about it. Whaddup wid dat?
It's simple really. Mean's post was so thoughtful, detailed and complete that only a single minor clarification was needed to make perfectly understandable.
Leland's troll post, on the other hand, left me confused and wondering if she was going through some serious post-partum, empty-nester freak out. We needed much more information about her post because it was neither complete not thoughtful. We had to find out if she had lost her mind and that took several follow up comments to determine she had.
¿Comprende?
I think I'll stop being long and thoughtful. I could better spend my time drinking and shooting pool.
Post a Comment