Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Not bad, not great

Spent a lot of the day yesterday with Mom. As seems to be her pattern lately, she started out pretty sad, tearful, and frustrated. We work through it by just letting her talk and I listen. It seems to be the best way to handle her frustration right now. It does not seem to help to try to explain or reason with her. One example... She has a box packed and when I asked why she explained that Danny would need it for a hunting trip he is taking. The contents included 1 tennis shoe and sock, 1 pair of of black suede shoes (they'll look adorable with his Sunday best flannel shirt!), her white underwear, a bra!, dish towels, toothpaste, peanut butter, and miscellaneous perishable items( I don't know how long this box has been packed, but I would be very cautious with the fruit salad and jelly!) Initially, I tried to explain why he probably wouldn't need some of these items, but she insisted I leave it alone. I did manage to sneak her shoes back in the closet. By the time mass and lunch rolled around, she was in better spirits.
The high point of the day was when I told her that Dylan was being inducted in to the NHS(slight brag ) that night. She was so excited about it that I asked her if she would like to go. Not only did she say she would love to go, she was going to wash her hair right after bingo! She looked great and was ready to go when I arrived to get her. She had also given the details to the nun at the front desk. It made my night!
I wish every day could be like this. Unfortunately, Uncle Jim didn't have as much luck on Sunday. Suffice it to say, they were both in tears by the end of his visit. He is so good to Mom.
Anyway, tifn,
Go gently, Q

3 comments:

Stuart said...

Thanks for the update and congrats to Dylan.

I'll update later on my conversation with the finacial advisor at MetLife, but mom is still in good shape with her portfolio. We got it safe just in the nick of time. Wish I could say the same for my 403b...

Megan said...

I'll be visiting Mom on Wednesday. If I get to town early enough, I was going to visit Aunt Melmarie before meeting Mom at Mass. I feel bad when Aunt Melmarie tries to engage us in conversation, etc. after Mass, just as Mom is dragging us away.

I'll be as gentle with Mom as can be (I'll try to channel Danny and Quinn), and hopefully it'll be a good day.

Danny said...

Congratulations Dylan! Way to go Godson! (I'll brag too).
Thanks for the update Quinn. Sounds like a typical up/down day. Letting her talk, listening and not trying to do a lot of reasoning always works for me. From whom and what did you hear about Uncle Jim's Sunday visit?
I'll visit Mom and pick up my "hunting supplies" before the weekend. They weren't packed last week... or maybe I just forgot them. Hmm, let's see. The 1 tennis shoe and sock could be emergency replacements for ones placed too close to the campfire. I could use the black suede shoes for our regular Saturday Night Formal Dance in the woods. Of course, the bra can be the propulsion mechanism for a double-barreled beer can sling shot. I don’t know about the rest of the stuff...
Stuart/Quinn, check you e-mails later this morn’ for copied business/health correspondence. Let me know if you want any originals forwarded. I swung by 627 this a.m. to pick up mail and borrow check book for 24 hours.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles