Sunday, October 12, 2008

I don't even knowwhat to title this...

Hello fellow sprinkles! The good news from Baltimore (and I hope I'm not jinxing things) is that Mom hasn't had any spells in the last two weeks. The bad news is that she doesn't seem to be rebounding from her last hospital stay very well. She's no longer on the ALZ meds and she just seems dazed and confused to me. Her words aren't coming to her. I don't even notice her whistling either. She just seems really sad. :-( Today, I asked her if she knows what she wants to say in her head but can't make the words come out or if she just can't remember the words. She said that she knows what she wants to say, but that by the time she comes up with the word, the thought has left her. She said that she never thought her life would end this way. Not that she would do anything to hasten things, but when she dies...she doesn't want us to be sad. :-(

She's had a rough couple of days because of the impending doctor's appt on Monday. You know how she gets fixated on things, well she has tried to walk to the doctor's and gone over to the Mother House several times trying to check on the appointment or go to it. She was so upset yesterday that they called Melmarie down to calm her. (bet that helped ;-) ) Memarie was able to get her calmed enough to get her back to her appt last night. When I arrived this afternoon, Mom had not signed out but was no where to be found. I decided to check the Mother House and sure enough, she was there. Melmarie had her up in her room. Mom had gotten upset at Mass and tried to leave. Melmarie followed her and took her upstairs. Melmarie was happy to see my children, and Mom seemed pleased. So I decided to use them to get Mom back to BGT - so that Mom could see the decorations that we put up in her room (since it was unlocked). On the way past my car, I did get Mom's hairdryer out of the trunk since it was in the "camping box" that she left at the front desk for the people doing the show over there that way. (exact words from the front desk lady) Her bathing habits are leaving something to be desired :-O . I suggested that we set up a bath appt for her so that she would be fresh for her appt tomorrow, but that was turned down. My offer to help her in the shower (eek!) was turned down also. So I'm not even sure that she'll be needing the hairdryer, but at least it's there. Umm...good luck tomorrow Quinn ;-) .

Here are a few random thoughts/questions that I've had the last few days:
  • How did God's name did Mom's wedding garter get moved with her to BGT and why?!?
  • Does Paul really need the 6 inch O'C hat pin that was also moved to BGT and what would he do with it?!?
  • How long can raisin bread be stored in a pair of tennis shoes before going bad?
  • Why does Mom keep taking the shoe laces out of her shoes?
  • Did I really offer to help her in the shower?!?!?
  • I cleaned out the cabinets and pantry at Mom's this afternoon. Do you think salad dressing really needs an expiration date?!? Is dressing from 2004 still good?
  • Why are bills being sent to Mom at her new address from OmniHealth? (I've got three that I found, who knows how many more there are.)
  • When you talk to Mom, please remind her to push the buttons when she gets in the elevator. She's been in there three times today when the "electricity has gone out"
  • Please don't wind the clock when you get to her room. It hasn't been working since the last time someone did. Don't worry, I was able to plug it back in and "fix it".

So sorry for the bummer of a post, I hope the last section made you smile a little because that's all we can do. This is a terrible disease and she is in a horrible position now where she knows that she can't remember things. But we have wonderful memories and we can still make more - they're just not the ones we planned on.

Keep smiling and praying - Love to all - Levelle

3 comments:

Levelle said...

It was me that changed to template, I was bored with the old one.

Megan said...

Thanks for the change of scenery. Wish the message was better.

Quinn, Levelle told me earlier that I was supposed to be taking Mom to that Dr. Lavin meeting on Tuesday night. I thought you were taking her, but then I didn't know about Monday's doctor appointment either. Maybe you can get enough info from Lavin on Monday that Mom wouldn't need to go on Tuesday(?), because I have a school meeting I should go to. Call me Monday after Mom's appointment.

Michael said...

Well it's good to know that I am not the only one who writes depressing posts. :p

Regarding the bathing, Melanie helped her mother shower and later gave her sponge baths every day for her last six months. It is a labor of love and Melanie never flinched. She won much respect and earned a special place in heaven (the bathroom).

p.s., let me know the answer to the raisin bread in the tennis shoe question as we are packing for a trip to Vietnam soon.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles