Well, after consultation with Megan, we decided to 'go for it'. We were afraid that if Mom remembered the significance of the day AFTER it had passed, it would have depressed her all the more so.
I called Mom first to see if she was 'up' for a visit. She sounded upbeat and asked if I would please stay for dinner. (...just put it on my tab). Upon arrival, she returned my "Happy Day" greeting with a kiss and then asked what day it was. In reply to my answered "Thursday... October 2nd", she simply said in a cheerful manner that it seemed to be a date of some sort of importance.
On the way to BG, I had swung by 627 to pick up their wedding album and also chose another '61-'68 family photo album. We sat for about an hour flipping through the albums and Mom, with assistance, happily reminisced. Then we went outside for a couple of passes around her walking circuit before dinner. Stuart, she fondly recollects your recent hike with her and how smart you were to figure out which neighboring houses are seen from her pathway. Don't get too swelled a head... I told her that they taught you that kind of stuff in college ;-).
Dinner was...umm... interesting. We shared a table with Bob & Jean, a friendly married couple whose room is just around the corner from Mom on the 3rd floor. In striking up a conversation with them, it was apparent to me that Mom had never conversed with them before. I think that besides being shy by nature, Mom is a bit self conscience about the state of her communication skills. She'll do the whistle thing with us but will hold back conversing much with unfamiliar folks. Once common interests were discovered though (i.e. trips to Ireland & bingo), their conversation rolled more freely.
We ended the evening with Mom telling me that I'd better get the photo 'books' back to the library before they closed ;-)
Love, Danny
p.s. Lel, thanks so much for the Halloween care package! Shappy was having a rough week, it gave her a cheerful boost and she very much appreciates your kindness.
3 comments:
Thanks. Refreshing update.
Actually, what I suggested Danny do was to go visit Mom with a box of Rhebs in hand, kiss her on the cheek, and say "Happy Anniversary, beautiful bride." (Or something similar.)
You guys are much braver than I would be. In an effort to avoid upsetting Mom, I tend to avoid taking chances (wedding album, taking her to see Paul in a bar, taking her to the cemetery) You're doing the right thing though, because she certainly enjoys and remembers these bright spots.
Has anyone seen that old movie where several random people, chosen by drops of water in a phone book, are given a large money? One of the winners is an old lady who lives in a nursing home. With the money, she buys the nursing home and makes the former employees sit in rocking chairs and knit, while she and the old residents happily clean and cook. I have to start thinking of things to do with Mom, because I am sure boredom could be a problem.
PS. It's a funny movie and worth watching. Cen't remember the name (uh-oh) but WC Fields was in it (told you it was old).
Post a Comment