Friday, September 10, 2010

Interesting visit with Mom today.

Pretty sure that she had no idea who I was. She was in the main living room while exercise time was happening. (I say that because she was not participating) I waved and smiled and she just gave me a "huffy" look and continued to stare at the leader. I decided that I should check her room first because that usually gives me a sense of her current mood. Interestingly I found several important things missing...her bedspread, her hairdryer, brush, shampoo and most importantly - her two framed pictures of ME! Harriet (the cleaning lady) asked if I knew where the bedspread was since she had not seen it all day. After searching high and low, it was found three doors down in the empty room left by John O'Brien. Never found the hair stuff, but did manage to find the pictures under the sofa in the lining that's fallen down. (Nice try Quinn, next time you want to get rid of my pictures, you're going to have to find a better hiding place ;-) ) I then went back to the living room.

Mom still didn't seem too interested in coming with me, but she did because I told her that I had some new shoes for her. I had found an interesting website that had shoes/clothing for Alzheimer's patients (or others with limited dexterity) and I ordered some new shoes for mom since the edema in her legs/feet has gotten pretty bad. I also got some new sweaters since her's always seem to look so ratty. So if you see some new clothes & shoes that you don't recognize, chances are they came from this visit. I tried to label everything with her name, but you can't see the writing on some. Mom was completely against all of the new clothing/shoes. She said she didn't need them. It's funny to think that in the two years+ that she's been there, we've probably bought her more clothing than she bought during her entire adult life. She just wears the clothing harder than she has and the people washing it don't take such good care of it. (or some things just disappear...)

By the time I left, she seemed to be in a better mood. Wonder what I'll find next time I visit?!?! Always a mystery...

Love to all - Levelle

3 comments:

Gilmom5 said...

Sounds like a fun visit. Me and the kids will go visit next weekend. (Don't tell them :))

Stuart said...

Megan gave me a rather depressing report today. Basically, BGT may not be doing some an acceptable job of keeping mom clean and entertained. And they may be doping her up when she gets irritable. Time to evaluate alternatives?

On an unrelated note does anyone have any parts of our family history that they can email to me. I can't even find my hard copies. Shane would like them for a homework project. Thanks.

Michael said...

I have a spreadsheet with about a thousand Gentry's documented but my hard copy of Mom's Gentry write up and Uncle Carroll's Smith write up are buried someplace in the house. I'll look for them later today. I didn't find them with a cursory look a few months ago. I am sure Uncle Carroll could resend his though. smithcarroll@prodigy.net

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles