Quinn just received a call from Loyola College Campus Police. He was calling because he wanted to know if she knew a woman named Levelle Smith. It seems Mom was out walking/wandering/lost and someone picked her up and brought her to Loyola (not sure if she directed them there or just seemed like the right place to take her). They called around to local hospitals to see if they had a record of her. GBMC gave them the information to contact Quinn. Quinn has called Paul who is on his way to pick her up.
Now Brighton Gardens has just called Quinn to let her know that Mom is at Loyola and they are sending the police to get her. Quinn told them that Paul was already on his way. The lady (Tomeka) then told Quinn that since Mom has wandered off and gotten lost, they will need to relocate her to the Reminiscence Unit. Quinn asked about the bracelet that they mentioned before and Tomeka told her that they no longer offer that service. Quinn said that there should be some type of intermediate step before that leap to Reminiscence and not to move her before she speaks with them. Quinn is on her way to BGT. More to come....
Love to all and thank you Dad for sending that guardian angel to watch over Mom and get her to a safe place - Levelle
10 comments:
Yes,and thank you to the good Samaritan who picked Mom up at the corner of Winston Ave & York Rd as I understand it. That's nearly 3 miles by shortest route from BG.
I don't feel that Mom is ready for BG's full blown ALZ Unit & am pissed that we're now being told that it is the 'only' option there. You can be dang sure that Mom won't be happy with it and I'm pretty sure it will hasten her declining mental health. More later...
LTA, Danny
I think it will exacerbate depression but it won't make the Alzheimers any worse. That is a biochemical change.
I never looked at the second floor before. It could be that they provide more safety and structure that Mom would find comforting. But I'm not hopeful. To those of you who toured that unit, feel free to dash my slim hopes.
How cumbersome is a lojack chip?
Quinn just took updated tour of the special unit & gives it thumbs up. It's definitely safer. BG is saying (in a nice way) that they need to move her there tonight or we can take her home for reasons of safety & liability. I'm on way out the door to see Mom and break the news to her. Wish me luck.
I can't get a past incident out of my head-- Mom fighting (viciously) to get out of her hospital room when Quinn and I were trying to keep her in. It was an ugly scene, and for that reason I worry about Mom in "the Unit." I'm glad to hear from Quinn that it looks better than she imagined, though.
Lately, I've been able to make weekday visits timed so that we can make noon Mass. I've only done this about once a week, though. Maybe we, with the help of her friends, can do this more often. This might be a key point in Mom making a successful transition.
Did y'all read my prescient comment to the last post? I mentioned 'Silver Alerts,' the senior citizen version of Amber Alerts. Of course, these things only work when a caregiver notices that their ward is missing.
Okay - just texted with Danny. Mom is down eating dinner while they are moving her into room 230. She was able to tour the area this afternoon with Quinn and pick out the room she liked. The good news is that the babydoll station is right outside of her room. This may be a good sign. She was not thrilled with the idea of living with "those old people" and she didn't want to be rushed into anything. Unfortunately BGT needs to act quickly and she will feel rushed. Hopefully with her short term memory loss, it won't take too long for her to forget her old room and get adjusted to her new area.
The other good news is that she will have the same freedoms as she had in the Assisted Living area except that she will need someone with her to do them. She can still go to mass, go for walks, go out to lunch, and even use all of the residential areas like the living rooms. They may take her down to the dining room for meals still with other of the "high functioning safety condern" residents. Her room is the same size - the only difference is that she does not have a kitchen area or a shower. (See Mom .... another selling point!) BGT will be cleaning the room regularly and assisting her with bathing.
Keep praying for a smooth transition, it's our only option at this point.
Love to all - -Levelle
I guess it is moot since BGT has forced the issue, but had Mom really been changing so much that she became a threat to wander all of the time, and therefore required 24 hour observation? Could she explain why or how she anded up in Homeland? Has Dr. Lavin noticed a change? or changed her meds?
I appreciate all that you all do and am not trying to second-guess your judgements, just wondering how it came to be.
Wow. At the corner of York Road & Winston Ave is a McDonalds and a drug rehab center. I hope Mom isn't using again. As much as she should not be eating junk food, I guess that is preferable to being a junkie.
I can't say that I suspect she'll be happy in the Unit but she will be safer. My recollection of it was that it was pretty dismal with old people just sitting around and staring at the walls or each other. They also had a blue room where they locked people inside to calm down when they got aggressive. It was just a small room with a sofa, an aquarium movie and soothing music but I was glad it had no padded walls. Levelle's last post made me feel better that she will have the same freedoms but she'll need someone to unlock the door and walk with her.
Is her navy friend in that unit? Should we see if they can get hooked up?
Just an update as things are becoming a little clearer...
Mom only wandered as far as York and Murdock (Rodgers Forge), where she was picked up by a good samaritan. He/she drove her around looking for someplace familiar. When mom couldn't give directions to Blessed Sacrament (the one place she could think of), the GS took her to the Loyola College security office (York and Winston, they were nearby at this point). The good folks there took over and began calling local hospitals until they found her records at GBMC, and therefore found Quinn's contact info.
Thank God for good samaritans. Pay it forward.
Thanks, How did you find out the details? Not from Mom, I assume.
Paul got those details from the police when he picked mom up. Quinn is going to call to get the name of the person who brought her in. Maybe we can contact him with our thanks. Crazy, right?
Post a Comment