Sunday, April 10, 2011
Sorry for the slow post- this one is tough.
Sorry for the slow post. First, as far as Mom's fall yesterday- the xrays showed no broken bones. As of last night, Mom was walking around and not showing any signs of pain or discomfort. I am still waiting to hear from Dr.Charles. The nurse sent him another message to call me. I am hoping to hear from him tomorrow. BTW Stuart, never get an update from Tod. God bless him he means well, but he has a lot on his plate so I don't always give him the day to day details. Now for my thoughts on hospice( for what they're worth) The main benefit of hospice is to offer supportive care and to maximize the quality of life for someone who is suffering from a terminal illness and whose life expectancy can be measured in months. I have not witnessed the decline of someone,other than Mom, who is suffering from alzheimers. For this reason, I can't say what to expect. That said, Mom has definitely declined significantly over the last six months and I can only imagine that the next six months will bring equally rapid decline. Hospice involves a team that would coordinate care, assist with getting necessary equipment (ie wheelchair, nutritional supplies, pain medication etc) and provide an aid that would visit a couple of times a week to help with feeding and hygiene. Mom's care would shift from any "treatment" to maximizing comfort and safety. She would still receive first aid type treatment as needed- like the xrays for her fall yesterday and the stitches for her fall three days ago. That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have thoughts, questions, or concerns. Otherwise, I will update after I hear from Dr.Charles. Love you all, Q
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......
5 comments:
My visit today was nice. Mom was in a good mood and eating her lunch pretty well (finger food...beef roast, baked potatoes, steamed carrots and apple cobbler). She got up pretty well when she was ready, but she became woosy as soon as she stood up. We only went over to the TV room. Mandy (the nurse) stopped by and mentioned that they were thinking that a walker might be good for mom. She would have something to lean on and use for support. She even tested Mom out with one of the other gentleman's. Mom did okay, not great but okay. Mandy said that A physical therapist would come in and work with Mom to get her used to using it. Just a thought... I guess we'll wait to hear from Dr. Charles.
lta - Levelle
Dr. Charles's opinion as to Mom's current stage in this progressive disease is anxiously awaited here. Mandy's walker suggestion will only help if Mom's cognitive decline is judged to be not so severe yet. I hate to sound downhearted, but I've witnessed times when Mom can't mentally connect that those are HER feet below her or remember how to move them to walk or to ride in a wheel chair. Will she often remember that she HAS a walker or how it's used?
While we wait...
Does anyone have any thought as to whether Mom might benefit from or enjoy the presence of an aide or sitter? I'd hate for her to be in pain, or lonely or scared. And she can afford it.
Megan is looking for work...
Post a Comment