Quinn was in touch with AC folks this morning before she went to work. Apparently the transition is not going as well as we were hoping. It sounds downright ugly, in fact, reminiscent of her stints in the hospital. Right now, Mom is requiring one-on-one care, a situation that can't continue much longer. She is highly agitated and they have been keeping her away from group activities. Our guess is that her agitation stems from knowing she's someplace different and needs to get back to where she belongs.
Quinn was going to try to connect with Mom's doctor today (she's at work, though). Maybe a temporary change in Mom's meds will help until she's better acclimated. I filled Danny in this morning and he talked to Kay or Stacy at AC and made plans to visit Mom early this afternoon. With prayers and luck, maybe he had his usual calming effect on her.
That's all I know for now. Hopefully Quinn and Danny will fill in the blanks soon. If the AC people are okay with it, I'll go there tomorrow.
5 comments:
Not a bad visit at all... When I didn't find Mom in her Boat Wing room or the day room, the nurse tech told me she was in the sun porch between the Garden & Country Wings. Sure enough, Mom had found a comfortable chair in the sun and was taking an early afternoon nap undisturbed by the goings on around her. After about 15 minutes she awoke and was in a pleasant mood, albeit subdued, but without evidence of agitation or anxiety.
We took a walk outside, grabbed a table in the sun and 'chatted' comfortably. 'Twas a beautiful day AND location for it. For those of you who have yet to see Arden Courts, it is vastly better than Brighton Gardens for a visit. Anyway, Mom seemed to be at ease with her new surroundings. When queried, she said that her room was ok, that the staff and other residents were friendly and that the food was good "But I don't eat a lot".
After 45 minutes or so, she said she'd better be getting back inside. When asked if I could escort her, she said "No, you go ahead. I'm going to sit here a while."
I checked in with our liaison Stacy on my way out. She said that it is OK to start 'testing the water' with some visitors and they'd observe how Mom does. Megan has the 'green light' for a visit tomorrow; Quinn on Saturday.
Keep the prayer hands folded with fingers crossed...
LTA, Danny
Working his magic again, Thank God!
My visit today was good, too. Mom was alertly watching Let's Make a Deal when I arrived. I'm pretty sure she didn't know me, but she was pleasant and I soon got her to walk to her room with me. The biggest problem was that she did NOT want to cross the threshold into her room because she was sure it wasn't hers. She was urging me to leave before someone else came.
I eventually got her into the room and started naming people in the photos around the room. We stayed there for a while, then took a long slow walk around the hallways. By the time we got back to her room she was again hesitant to enter. But all in all, she was in good spirits and alert. I don't know if they've started any new meds yet. I hope she's turned the corner towards 'settled,' or maybe she turns into a she-wolf when the sun goes down.
Hoping Quinn has a hat trick visit ;~)
Paul & I are clearing out the Brighton Gardens room this morning.
Thanks for the updates and all of the efforts up there. Wish I could help.
Post a Comment