Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Perhaps we can use Stuart's poem in Mom's new change of address cards...

There hasn't been much local activity on the blog recently, but there's definitely been lots of activity in the local area recently. Because of ongoing concerns about Mom's hygiene and the level of stimulation that BG offered, all of the local siblings began searching for a better option for Mom.

After much review, Arden Courts of Towson was a clear winner. It is a facility specifically designed for Alzheimer's patients. you can read about them at http://www.hcr-manorcare.com/FindALocation/LocationSearchResults/LocationDetail/tabid/67/Default.aspx?FacilityID=636

Some of the highlights include a very open floor plan where Mom will be allowed to walk freely both indoors and out (on good weather days), scheduled activities that change every 1/2 hour throughout the day to keep the patients' attention, established routines for patients especially ones with incontinence issues, and a great location (right off of Charles street just inside the beltway - accessible to Paul by bike.) These are some of the many highlights that helped make the decision. It was our belief (and by our, I mean Quinn j/k) that although the people at BG were all very nice, Mom was just not receiving the amount of direct attention that we felt she deserved based on the large amount of money that they were receiving monthly for her care. All of the staff at AC are trained in Alzheimer's care. They have a proven plan of action in dealing with the ever changing world of an Alzheimer's patient.

We hope you like it and come see it soon. There should be an opening at the end of the month and Mom will be able to move right in. One thing in particular that I liked was their Guardian Angel program. This program matches on employee with a new resident. The Guardian Angel will be the "face of Arden Courts" for Mom as she gets used to her new surroundings.

Love to all - Levelle

PS I hope this wasn't a total shocker to anyone of you from out of town. I'm not sure who you talk to regularly, but I thought we should put it on the blog for posterity.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it. This place look great and the location solves the big issue with Emmittsburg. I'm curious though. Did they ( or anyone else like a health care worker) say what a move might mean to Mom? She may love it but the extra confusion might be bad too. I'm just asking, not second guessing.

Stuart said...

The picture on the front page of the blog looks fairly unexciting, but I trust you people to make the right decision. Let me know the day and I'll see if I can come up and help move.

quinn said...

Sorry I didn't update you sooner. I have had a lot going on lately. The picture only shows a small section of the facilty and really doesn't do it justice. It has beautifully landscaped, flat walking paths and sitting areas outside- all secured so patients could go out and not get lost. The inside is very nicely appointed,very clean, and no evidence (smell-wise) of incontinent patients.
To Michaels question- We don't know what the change will do to Mom, however she has really been deteriorating physically of late. I don't think she will do well staying at BG, so I am willing to take a chance (and as Levelle said, it is all about me!). This facility has only pts. with Alzheimers. They have gone to BG to assess Mom and they believe she will fit in very well there. Danny and I had an extensive interview with them and we really like the way they develop individualized plans of care for each patient. Will see. Say your prayers.

Megan said...

I really liked the place... freedom of movement, interior "neighborhood" design with porch-like sitting areas, activities. By comparison, the alzjeimer unit at BG is very confining, smelly, and unstimulating. I think the freedom of movement at AC will help mom, physically, especially if we, and her friends, take walks with her when we visit.

And since it is NOT all about Quinn,... I have always felt really bad when I leave mom at the end of a visit... like, when the alarmed door shuts, I'm on the freedom side and she's on the imprisoned side. And I don't like the feeling. It probably has more to do with my impressions of the place than mom's. (Lately, whether because of her deterioration or because of change in meds, she seems more at ease. Or I'm just catching her at the right time of day.) Whatever the reason, I will feel better leaving her at AC.

I think we should go ahead and give BG their 30 day notice. If need be, Mom can stay with Paul for a little while until a room at AC opens up. He might be able to use the stipend we could give him, though I don't know how he'd feel about tending to her hygienic needs.

By the way, Carol Leonard has visited mom twice in the last couple of weeks since I told her we were looking around. Before I had a chance to tell her that we had found a place we liked, she tried to give me a 'good spin' accounting of her visits. Then when I told her about AC and what they had to offer, she told me she would be begin a novena immediately. She wants to help with the transition in every/any way that she can. My guess is that most of mom's friends may feel the same way.

Megan said...

On to other family news, in case you're interested...

I took Aunt Ditty out to lunch on Friday. In the midst of this fine current economy/real estate market, they never got an offer on the farm that was worth considering. Cousin Peter and his wife Kate (together they run the nursery school Aunt Ditty founded) moved into the big stone house on the farm. (The little house on the farm that they had been living in is now available to rent, if anyone is interested.)

Cousin Galvin had a stroke about a month ago. She's been living with Peter since her release from St. Joe's, but was taken back to the hospital Thursday night when she began to have rapid heart beating,... (high blood pressure issues)

After hearing all that, I forgot to ask how Cousin Billy and his husband were doing.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles