Why does seem so quiet around here? I hope everyone had a nice holiday and that you are reasonably tolerating the extreme weather. Rory wants to see snow, so we may be traveling north this weekend. Is there still some around?
Melanie & I had an old peoples' new year's celebrations. At exactly mid-night, as the band was playing, the people screaming and the fireworks were going off just outside, I woke up, rolled over and said "Happy New Year honey". After a quick kiss, we were asleep again.
We had a good excuse though as we were in Medan, Sumatra and the travel made for a long day. On the 1st, we headed up to Lake Toba which was pretty cool but over-run by 1 million Indonesians and a few western hippies enjoying the long weekend. They actually sell magic mushrooms and "special herb" pizzas on the island because the police never go there. The island, Samosir, is something like the size of Singapore. The lake that it's in is down inside the crater of the largest (or second largest) volcano in the world. It's nice, cool and windy up there which is always a pleasant break from Singapore.
For the past two weeks, I've been working with Mercy Relief, a humanitarian NGO that helps victims of disasters although they are now spreading their work to other areas too. Shockingly, my job is as the resident IT expert, designing a database to record volunteers' time and activities. I'm also the photographer, taking photos of stuff they sell to raise funds. They buy local crafts from disaster / poor areas to stimulate the economy and then plan to sell it on the internet using my photos. I kind of doubt it will work selling it that way but I'm happy to let them make that decision.
From 17-29 January, I'll be in Yogyakarta studying Indonesian. I don't know what kind of internet access or time I'll have so if you don't hear from me, you know why. Classes start at 8:00am and 4 sessions a day will mean a total of 7 hours a day in class then the homework starts. College was easier.
Speaking of college, Alex is in Guatemala later this month with Dickinson’s outreach program. I think he has inherited my wanderlust and I inherited his goal to serve the world. He’s a good Jesuit even if he doesn’t like to go to mass.
Peace to all and Happy New Year (i.e., twenty ten, not two thousand and ten).
We had a little dusting of snow this morning. With the cold temperatures, it may stick around for a liitle while. There is a greater chance for snow on Friday. Tod and Dylan are planning on going snowboarding on Saturday- just to Liberty, but they do have snow. Mom has been pretty uneventful, a little sad. I am hoping it is just the holiday blues. We'll keep an eye on that. TIFN, Q
Our New Year's was okay. Luckily we weren't trying to sleep through it, as our nextdoor neighbor was setting off a long and loud fireworks display. It was a good enough show to rival any county fair fireworks or stadium fireworks show I've ever seen.
If Leland was still in Syracuse, that would have been a good place to send Rhett on a college visit. I hear they've had 52 inches of snow in the last 10 days. Luckily for Leland, she never experienced anything that severe in her four years there.
If you're coming up this weekend, maybe your kids (or just Rhett) might be interested in a Battle of the Bands event our high school is hosting on Saturday night. It will all be young local bands, but maybe there's some up-and-coming talent here in SoYoCo. (That's 'Southern York County'for all you non-locals. Aha! I almost tricked you into thinking I fit in here.)
Well I hope everyone had a pleasant Sunday afternoon.
We hung out around the house this weekend - tried to skate on the frozen pond in our neighborhood (not such a good idea) and then dried off in front of a roaring good football game.
Thinking about it. Shane's game is over at one and we don't have any other obligations. I'm tryiing to get out of a few meetings on Monday. so I don't have to return Sunday. Won't want to drive home depressed, so we'll have to win.
6 comments:
Melanie & I had an old peoples' new year's celebrations. At exactly mid-night, as the band was playing, the people screaming and the fireworks were going off just outside, I woke up, rolled over and said "Happy New Year honey". After a quick kiss, we were asleep again.
We had a good excuse though as we were in Medan, Sumatra and the travel made for a long day. On the 1st, we headed up to Lake Toba which was pretty cool but over-run by 1 million Indonesians and a few western hippies enjoying the long weekend. They actually sell magic mushrooms and "special herb" pizzas on the island because the police never go there. The island, Samosir, is something like the size of Singapore. The lake that it's in is down inside the crater of the largest (or second largest) volcano in the world. It's nice, cool and windy up there which is always a pleasant break from Singapore.
For the past two weeks, I've been working with Mercy Relief, a humanitarian NGO that helps victims of disasters although they are now spreading their work to other areas too. Shockingly, my job is as the resident IT expert, designing a database to record volunteers' time and activities. I'm also the photographer, taking photos of stuff they sell to raise funds. They buy local crafts from disaster / poor areas to stimulate the economy and then plan to sell it on the internet using my photos. I kind of doubt it will work selling it that way but I'm happy to let them make that decision.
From 17-29 January, I'll be in Yogyakarta studying Indonesian. I don't know what kind of internet access or time I'll have so if you don't hear from me, you know why. Classes start at 8:00am and 4 sessions a day will mean a total of 7 hours a day in class then the homework starts. College was easier.
Speaking of college, Alex is in Guatemala later this month with Dickinson’s outreach program. I think he has inherited my wanderlust and I inherited his goal to serve the world. He’s a good Jesuit even if he doesn’t like to go to mass.
Peace to all and Happy New Year (i.e., twenty ten, not two thousand and ten).
We had a little dusting of snow this morning. With the cold temperatures, it may stick around for a liitle while. There is a greater chance for snow on Friday.
Tod and Dylan are planning on going snowboarding on Saturday- just to Liberty, but they do have snow.
Mom has been pretty uneventful, a little sad. I am hoping it is just the holiday blues. We'll keep an eye on that. TIFN, Q
Our New Year's was okay. Luckily we weren't trying to sleep through it, as our nextdoor neighbor was setting off a long and loud fireworks display. It was a good enough show to rival any county fair fireworks or stadium fireworks show I've ever seen.
If Leland was still in Syracuse, that would have been a good place to send Rhett on a college visit. I hear they've had 52 inches of snow in the last 10 days. Luckily for Leland, she never experienced anything that severe in her four years there.
If you're coming up this weekend, maybe your kids (or just Rhett) might be interested in a Battle of the Bands event our high school is hosting on Saturday night. It will all be young local bands, but maybe there's some up-and-coming talent here in SoYoCo. (That's 'Southern York County'for all you non-locals. Aha! I almost tricked you into thinking I fit in here.)
Well I hope everyone had a pleasant Sunday afternoon.
We hung out around the house this weekend - tried to skate on the frozen pond in our neighborhood (not such a good idea) and then dried off in front of a roaring good football game.
I hope everyone is doing great. See you soon.
Stuart, are you coming to Baltimore to watch the big game on Saturday?
Thinking about it. Shane's game is over at one and we don't have any other obligations. I'm tryiing to get out of a few meetings on Monday. so I don't have to return Sunday. Won't want to drive home depressed, so we'll have to win.
Post a Comment