Thursday, October 8, 2009

Levelle and I had a nice visit...

Unfortunately, it was at GBMC. Don't worry, she is already back at BG. It was similar to the episodes she had before. She was in the living room, passed out- and as usual, no one is clear whether or not she actually went "out", they got her in a chair and called the ambo. At GBMC, she had blood work drawn, an ECG, and a CAT scan. All test results were normal and of course Mom was anxious to get out. The ER doctor was very nice. I warned him that it would not be pretty if they kept her overnight. He called Dr.Lavin who told him the same thing. He said if tests were okay then get her out fast- so they did. I guess they could tell by the urgency in our voice that Levelle and I were serious about just how ugly it could get. I was glad not to have to relay the eye-gouging-"looky what I can do" story.
She looked pretty good when I got her back, but she was starting to get more confused and a little agitated. I think it was just in the nick of time.
Anyway, pray this is not the beginning of another run of visits to GBMC.
That's it for now.
Peace, Q

3 comments:

Levelle said...

Her afternoon confusion/agitation could also be the result of not having eaten since morning. I'm hoping that Mom had a good dinner and a restful evening. Megan is planning on stopping by after PT tomorrow morning. Perhaps she'll have an update for us.

Love to all - Levelle

Stuart said...

I suppose they have to send her by ambo each time, and then GBMC has to do the CT and ECG and all each time also. Seems to me that BG should give her a glass of juice first, to see how she is feeling. But since they can't or won't, thank God for the social safety net that is a tax-payer funded, single-payer healthcare insurance plan.

Megan said...

I can't comment on the insurance issues... WAY over my head. I did go to BG and ran into Mrs. Rafferty (a faithful Friday regular visitor). I ask if Mom had told her about her trip to GBMC. Of course, she hadn't. And of course Mom had no idea what I was talking about.

Physically, Mom seemed pretty strong. On our walk to the mother house her step was as sure and lively as I've seen it lately. But her language skills were about as weak as I can remember. She couldn't express any half-coherent thought or even a short string of words. I understood very little of what she wanted to say, but she was at least in good spirits. Hmmm. Maybe that was the problem. Maybe BG was serving good spirits for breakfast.

What I always find remarkable is that during Mass Mom knows and says loud and clear every word to every prayer or response.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles