Monday, September 14, 2009

What Do They Do in the Alheimer's Unit All Day...

... any idea?

If Mom had something to do, I think she'd be happier. Not sure what she was upset about (see Danny's comment to last post), but I can imagine that she would get confused if she was trying to help out with any regular activities. And if there are other involved who are unkind/non-perceptive people, they could come across as mean.

Not being allowed to walk independently to church will be a big blow for her.

Hopefully she forgets the bad stuff as quickly as she forgets our visits :)

8 comments:

Danny said...

Quinn just told me that as of her very recent meeting with BG, Mom IS still allowed to walk over to Mass. If anything has changed since then, Quinn should be notified. We'll check into it further & report back.

Levelle said...

Not sure what they do, but now that school is back in session, Quinn and I are planning on starting to visit during the week too. We are planning on Tuesday mornings. Perhaps a shower...followed by some outing will keep her mind off of bad stuff. This is such a terrible disease! Mom seems to only remember the bad things. I hope hwen I get it to be the kind of person that is stuck in happy La-La Land. ;-)

Love to all - Levelle

PS Jamie and I will be picking Mom up to take her to Drew's dinner on Thursday. Hopefully she'll enjoy some time with Ben and Twitter.

Danny said...

For the past few weeks, I've been popping in on her after work once a week. We usually chat for while, I hang around reading while she eats then we wrap up after dinner. The only hard part is that she sometimes asks if I can spend the night there :{

Megan said...

Thanks for what sounds like a great outing on Sunday, Danny. And you missed the Ravens game, too.

This week I started doing physical therapy in Hunt Valley twice a week. I'll start making sure I schedule at least one appointment so that I can make Mass with Mom afterwards.

quinn said...

Danny, ewwwwwwwwwwwww!
Megan, good luck with PT.

Michael said...

Mom's phone is disconnected? Did she toss it in the bathtub to "stop that incessant noise"?

Michael said...

never mind. I finally got through last night. Actually, Melanie did but she let me talk to Mom anyway. I can't honestly say she was totally coherent but she remembered things like Andy was in California (and never coming back) and that I was due back in Baltimore at Thanksgiving (which was some day next week). She was surprised to hear that Alex was graduating from college next year (because of his young age, not his intelligence) and that Shannon was already working in a real job (now who does she belong to again?).

Oh well, she wasn't crying or complaining so that is good. I made the mistake of asking her if she remembered when Dad retired and I now know she'll be trying to work that out for a while. After some calculating, she did manage to narrow it down to 1980 - 85 but she was still worried about it when I hung up, despite my pleas that it was not important.

Stuart said...

Any chance they watch the Ravens game there? I have a jersey that will fit her if she enjoys watching with the gang.

Oh yeah, we're in first place ahead of the steel-hers.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles