Melanie and I are back from a very short trip to the UK. We didn't see Leland for some reason, despite keeping our eyes open for her. We sort of needed to go to Melanie's nephew's wedding and since it was one overnight flight away, we thought it would be a snap. We landed back in Singapore at 7:40am on Tuesday and were in work by 9:30am. I only slept through one meeting too so the day wasn't a complete loss.
Our whole extended weekend was spent within spitting distance of the M11 and A11 highways between the London orbital (M25 / beltway) and Wymondham. The wedding was held in Saffron Walden's St. Mary's Church, built around 1450 (http://www.stmaryssaffronwalden.org/History.htm) and the reception was in the quaint "little" Audley End house built in the early 1600's (http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.12093). Oliver Cromwell once held a meeting in the church so I made sure to wipe my feet after leaving it. We went to Cambridge on Sunday and it's the coolest little old town I have ever been to. All the students were moving back into their rooms on Sunday and as we walked down the street, every few feet we heard a different language being spoken. We went punting on the Cam River (a flat boat pushed along by a chauffeur using a long pole in the shallow river). In Wymondham, we met up with a friend a Melanie's family who lived in Singapore in the early 1960's. Lunch at the 15th century Green Dragon pub their was quite decent (http://www.greendragon-pub.co.uk/).
Overall it was a nice retreat but I just wonder how long it will take before I stop saying "oh lovely" about everything.
6 comments:
...and a further update... I thought I was not feeling so well sitting in the office about 45 minutes ago. Was the building shaking or was it me?
It turns out it was a very strong 7.9 earthquake just off Padang in west central Sumatra. That is just a bit south of where the Christmas 2005 "tsunami" earthquake was. They also had a devastating earthquake in the same area just a month or two after Melanie and I visited Bukit Tinggi and Padang in early 2007.
Say a prayer for the folk there. They are hurting.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/10/100_0.php
I meant the Christmas "2004" earthquake.
Your feastday was this week. Lovely!
Maybe on our next family trip to Ireland we can hop over Cambridge. It really would be lovely.
Megan, I think I'll be taking the family over to Ireland this summer. Are you planning a trip?
Post a Comment