Mom called me early this morning (looking for Quinn). She was upset about a phone call she received last night from a mean person. She thought it had something to do with a credit card. To avoid telemarketers/creditors from calling, I suggest that we have her number changed and only give it to her friends and family. This would also avoid the doctor's offices from calling to confirm appointments too.
Otherwise, she sounded good. When I mentioned her doctor appointment yesterday, she told me that she was happy to hear it. She thought that she had been to the doctor's, but she couldn't be sure. She said that she just doesn't trust her brain anymore. Hey, at least she's admitting it...for the moment.
Love to all - Levelle
36 comments:
BTW- Danny and/or Stuart, do you know if we have a new medicare card for mom? Dr.Lavin's office called to let me know the one they have on file is expired (I believe it has dad's SS# on it). I have her new United Healthcare card but I have not seen a new medicare card. Q
Lev's Post - I was already contemplating changing the phone because Mom called ME early this morn' too. She told me that she got a call from the PHONE company around 10PM last night. The mean lady told her that no payment had been received for 4 months and that they were going to shut off her phone. I verified that both Verizon and AT&T (her 2 providers) have been paid 2 to 3 weeks EARLIER than due dates for the past 3 months. I called her back to put her mind at ease (LOL). I reminded her that she should simply refer any 'business' calls directly to me. I told her that on my next visit, I will tape my name & cell phone number to her phone as a reminder and for easy access. She said she couldn't find any of our numbers when she was speaking with the mean lady.
I also gave Uncle Jim a 'heads-up' call because he's usually the next one Mom calls about the business side of things. He said he was going to try and pay her a vist today.
Quinn's comment - I'm leaving the office after posting this comment and heading for 627. I'll see what I can find and let you know.
ps Levelle- When was it that Mom called you this morning? I talked to her first at 7:55AM and then called back with my findings within an hour or so.
I don't have a Medicare card in any of her papers that I have. Wee can call and get a new one, I assume.
I woke up and realized that half of February is gone and I haven't done anything on two issues with deadlines. Time to get moving.
I am going to hire someone to finish the taxes but I need to pull all of the documents together. Danny, any chance that you could scan and forward whatever year-end interest and dividend paper-work we have gotten from the banks and tel-coms. And anything from MetLife. Also, property tax receipts. I guess I'll come up to go through Yarmouth for PY filings and other relevant papers, but it would be nice to start to inventory what we have.
Of more interest to you all, probably, I think we need to get the house on the market now. Baltimore Equitable called again the other day because they don't cover houses unless occupied by the named insured. They will issue a cancellation notice soon even though it doesn't take effect til May. Wiltondale has probably held on to its value as best it could, but the market could get much worse for a while.
Does anyone want to manage a FSBO for a few weeks just to see if we get any calls? Elsewise, bring on O'C&M. Does Mom need to be told? Now or when a sale is imminent?
Hot damn. No typos.
My "next visit" with Mom turned out to be at 6:30 this morn'. Now, when she picks up her nice white Trimline phone, standing out in bold green is my name & cell number. I told her to NOT hesitate in giving these to 'business' callers. She seemed pleased.
We small talked for awhile, then had a more serious discussion. She said that she very much appreciates our concern for her safety and understands that this concern is the reason we want her at BG, but... Y'all know the rest. "I can take of myself and I want to go home". When she began the litany of reasons why, I gently interrupted. Straightforwardly, I let her know that our doings are not done as favors to be appreciated, but done as acts of responsibilty and love. I clearly drew the corollary between her and Dad's accountability for our care when we were young and our care for her now. She wasn't tearful and seemed to acquiesce as I departed.
My next visit with Mom will be shortly after the camping trip. At that time, we'll sit down and have a frank discussion about the disposition of Yarmouth.
Love, Danny
Stuart-
1)Was my text of late yesterday evening received regarding the 'Medicare card'? If so, am I right or wrong about it? If not, please call when you're free.
2)The tax filing documents are all together on this end. Can I get them scanned and off to you early next week? I have alot on my platter the next 48 hours.
3)If you're confident of Yarmouth's valuation and the economy of going FSBO, I can handle calls and show it. I'd also like to have a definitive plan for how to legally seal the deal if we to receive an acceptable offer.
...if we 'were' to receive an acceptable offer.
I am pretty sure that the Medicare card is the standard issue one (Red, whuite and blue, referencing the Social Security act). The United Secure Horizons woulod be different. But I will call SSA and myUHC to find out.
Next week is fine for the tax stuff.
I can get us ready if someone were to make an offer on Yarmouth. I wouldn't recommend listing it FSBO for very long. Just eneough to get locals to see it.
Sorry, I have been out of the loop since I posed the question about the Medicare card. It is the red,white and blue card and separate from the Secure Horizons card. I can find out how to get a new one, I just wanted to make sure I didn't misplace it. I used her current card for the procedure she had on 1/7. I hope that claim doesn't get denied. Have we seen anything from Union Memorial yet?
I'll order the new card tomorrow. It can be done on-line or by phone. It is easier if we have the HIC number and I'm not sure if that is still the SSN - I think they changed that a few years ago. So if anyone had a photocopy or happened to write the number down...
Feel free to take down the picture of the sample Medicare card from the front page.
Done....
Thanks for doing all this stuff. I'll mail over some moral support as soon as I have a few minutes.
Ditto what Michael said... Thanks for doing all that tax and legal stuff. In an effort to do my part (until the lawn needs cutting), I plan on bringing some manicure supplies and tweezers when I visit Mom on Sunday. Hopefully Leland and my other lovely sisters will be there to put them to good use.
Love, Megan
Let's go out for a mani/pedi!
Quinn- We have received the insurance company's EOB for the 1/7 procedure claim submitted by Union Memorial. No final "balance due" invoice has been received yet.
Stuart- That was my thought as well about FSBO. Hang out the sign for 2 to 3 weeks to gather in any local interest. If none, then call Tommy or Sean.
Girls- I think both Lisa & Shannon will be there Sunday. Have fun plucking. I didn't feel it was my place to comment on its need.
Does anyone want me to call Kris (the neighbor) so see if her friend is still interested in the house. Before we put it up FSBO, do we have an idea of what we are looking for $wise? We should also get back in there and do a major cleaning and organizing of the furniture in there. I don't mind being the contact for the FSBO if needed.
Love to all - Levelle
Awesome cereal box Leland. GMills better pick him back up. At my house, we have forever banned Kelloggs products.
you should have banned Kellogg's products before this - and Dannon - and Campbell's. I have a whole list.
Send me the list. I'm gunning for sodium, transfats and high-fructose corn syrup right now.
Fri. thru Sun., me & the boys will be in PA Tuscarora State Forest, Perry County, Camp Site #47, Kansas Valley Road.
In case of emergency, and if cell phone reception is lacking (it usually is mountains), call the Forestry office 717-536-3191 or State Police,Troop H,717-671-7500.
Have fun girls!
Quinn,
SSA will send a new Medicare card but it will not arrive for 4 weeks. In the interim, they are sending a form to use temporarilly for any provider that needs to see her coverage. That form should arrive in 10 days.
After Danny returns and recovers we may need to telol him to be on the lookout for these documents.
Are they going to be sending it to Yarmouth? I have been giving my phone number and address on hospital/ doctor office forms in hopes they will not call Mom for any problems or questions.
Thanks for handling that. Q
Yes. It will be mailed to Yarmouth.
Holy Cow! 25 comments.
26
Megan, that was a cheap post, just to get the count up.
Wow, this is the longest yet, isn't it? Q28
might be.
Think so.
Amazing!!!!!!!!
Have people really stopped looking at this thread? Have you all really moved on to the next one? If so, if I post here now, will I get the last say on a long thread? Cool.
Ha!
Man! We could make Mom a whole new scarf with this thread ;)
We could.
If only I could knit:(
Post a Comment