Sunday, May 2, 2010

Since it's been a while since we've talked about Mom...

I thought you might like a little update.

As far as I'm concerned, when I visit she seems happy and relatively content to be living where she is. Today's visit was spent chatting away for a good half hour straight. Mom, not me. Not really sure what she was chatting about because, although there were plenty of words that I could understand, there were an equal amount of jibberish words. But she was very happy to be telling me about "that boy" and "how she helped". I just filled in a lot of "mm hmmms" and spent the rest of my time preparing my shopping list in my head. Oh and BTW the entire time we were in her room, Gus(the man in the next room) was moaning loudly and banging on the wall. I could not focus on anything else, but it did not seem to phase Mom at all. (except one relatively loud bang which caused Mom to turn to the wall and tell him to Shut Up! - don't worry, she had a smile on her face the whole time)

Mom and I re-arranged the furniture in her room a little. We moved the chair and the TV so that she has a little conversation area. She has not been able to watch the TV since the cable went digital. I never pursued the small TV for her room either because she does not seem interested in it at all. She watches whatever show they have on in the main living area and seems content to do so. They've also added more "activities" for the residents like bowling, art and some word games. There are also a few new residents in Mom's neighborhood like Mr. Ralph and some others whose names I haven't learned yet. But it seems like there are more "high functioning' people moving into her neighborhood recently.

Another area that we're (not Mom) are addressing is trying to casually get her dresser into her closet so that we can lock up her clothes. The poor techs there who help her to get dressed in the morning are always saying that she doesn't have any underwear or socks. They keep "disappearing" as Mom "arranges" and "re-arranges" her drawers. If we move a small dresser into her closet and add a small chair lock up high, at least we'll be assured that she has the clothes that she needs. We were thinking of replacing the existing armoire with a shelf for pictures and items that she could "re-arrange" all she wants.

So that's it for today's visit. (check back in tomorrow because I'm sure it will be completely opposite!)

Love to all - Levelle

PS Michael - I happened to mention that you'd be coming home soon and clear as could be, Mom responded, "for good?". Some things will never slip her mind ;-) .

PPS That picture was creeping me out, so I took it off. sorry.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Great update Levelle. Maybe we should tell Mom that I'm Singaporean and can only get short visas to visit the US?

Stuart said...

Yes, Michael - don't forget to bring your papers or the federales may deport you.

Thanks for the update Levelle. I'd be happy to help re-decorate the next time I am up if there is still a need.

Levelle said...

Note to self (and all others) -

It's not a good idea to move furniture in the room of an Alzheimer's patient. They may become more confused and try to move, say a heavy television, by themselves. They may then get their foot stuck under said television as it is lowered to the floor by gravity.

duly noted - Levelle

PS no Mothers were gravely injured in the creation of this post.

Megan said...

Michael, dear-- Do you really want us telling Mom such a story, just to ease your guilt? Hmmm, I don't think so. You do have a ticket for her to attend the big graduation event, don't you?

And speaking of graduation, will you have time during your stay to throw a mini graduation celebration? I'd be happy to offer my house for a family cookout for anyone who can attend.

Moving on to the topic of Mother's Day-- we'll be in town hoping to catch up with Mama Smith and Mama Strott on Sunday afternoon. How about we descend upon BG en masse, bringing lunch and treats with us? Restaurants and diners will likely be crazier than usual-- too crazy for Mom (or me) to handle.

Stuart said...

So what's up with Danny's text/Paul's comments about how Mom loves her new furniture? Did she wander in to the wrong room?

Levelle said...

Sorry - no...Danny and Quinn were able to get into Mom's room on Saturday and change out Mom's furniture. They got rid of the TV and TV stand, took out the broken side table, and removed the armoire. They replaced the armoire with a dresser small enough to fit into her closet. The replaced the broken side table with a study one from IKEA. They did not replace the TV. It has really opened up the room but still gives Mom the ability to still get to her clothes.

HTH!

Stuart said...

Thanks.

One more thing, what is HTH?

Megan said...

Hold the Hotsauce? Hit the Hay?
Half the Hassle? Hide the Hooch?

Stuart said...

Got it: "hope this helps"

Levelle said...

No...it really was Hold the Hotsauce!

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles