Sunday, April 21, 2013

What's up?

So I have been a little out of a touch for the past week and not able to check the news. Has anything of significance happened in the US in the past week or so? Did I miss anything?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Big news in Boston this past weekend: The Red Sox lost a double header to the Royals!

Kidding aside, what a nightmare for Bostonians at and after the marathon. I kept thinking about how much fun we sisters had at the Chicago marathon a few years back. And that was why I encouraged Henry to go, to cheer runners on. Luckily for him, he was at about Mile 25 and not Mile 26. He was in lockdown in his dorm all day Friday, but was in good company and BU brought meals in.

Michael said...

I just remember that I did see some news about that. Sad story all around but I really feel for the BU student's passing. Like all good Chinese, her parents stopped at one child and didn't even abort when they found out that they were having "just a girl". They raised a good one who appeared to be the perfect filial child that was going to care for her adults as they got older. That is "the Chinese dream" (as opposed to the American dream). Now they have lost not only their only child but their own future.

On another related story, I knew my old boss from Vinson & Elkins and his wife planned to run in the marathon. I was afraid to send an e-mail but I could not check the marathon website for several days. When I did get through and saw their times... 3:25 for Steve and 4:07 for Susan. Uh oh. That's 2 minutes before the bombs for Susan. It turns out that both are okay physically but Susan got caught up in the stampede away from the area and was badly shaken even 3 days later. She'll get over it though. Others will have a far tougher journey.

Megan said...

It is very sad for the Lu family. BU has started a scholarship fund in her name, but it sounds like they should funnel the funds to her parents instead.

Outsprinkles

Outsprinkles
These are the people whose love and support get us through each day and who we owe so much. They also helped a little producing......

Almost all of the Offsprinkles

Almost all of the Offsprinkles